It wasn't meant to be..... :(

rossbarney2003
rossbarney2003 Posts: 167
edited April 2008 in The bottom bracket
I woke up today in a good mood, nice and early. I have the day off since it's a local holiday and the weather is really good. I got all ready to go out for a cycle. I only managed to get 10 mins down the road before I knew something was wrong. I stopped at the side of the road to find that my back tyre had blown!

I stupidly forgot to take a spare tube with me so had to call my mum for a lift home.....

Once I got home I did the usual check on my tyre to make sure that whatever caused the puncture wasn't a threat any more etc, but once I started pumping up the tyre the tube blew up!!!!

Whats worse is that all the local bike shops in my area are closed for the holiday and I used my last tube :(

Looks like I won't be going cycling today......and the weather for tomoro is rain.......:(

Comments

• iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    I woke up today in a good mood, nice and early. I have the day off since it's a local holiday and the weather is really good. I got all ready to go out for a cycle. I only managed to get 10 mins down the road before I knew something was wrong. I stopped at the side of the road to find that my back tyre had blown!

I stupidly forgot to take a spare tube with me so had to call my mum for a lift home.....

Once I got home I did the usual check on my tyre to make sure that whatever caused the puncture wasn't a threat any more etc, but once I started pumping up the tyre the tube blew up!!!!

Whats worse is that all the bike shops are closed for the holiday and I used my last tube :(

What holiday is that then?
    Looks like I won't be going cycling today......and the weather for tomoro is rain.......:(
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • iainment wrote:

Whats worse is that all the bike shops are closed for the holiday and I used my last tube :(

Spring Holiday Monday
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    iainment wrote:

Spring Holiday Monday

A new one on me.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    We have a brilliant system in Scotland where each town has its own local holidays at different times. This means you don't get a mad rush for the seaside three times a year, but a controlled flow of visitors (to St Andrews for example) across the Summer months.

The banks (greedy b8st8ards, no sympathy, learn to lend responsibly and don't sponge off us when you get your fingers burned, rant over) take advantage of this by closing for all UK bank holidays plus all local holidays and every other day they can get away with, but who needs them, anyway?

Sorry about your tube problem, ross barney, days like that really suck!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• pneumatic wrote:
    We have a brilliant system in Scotland where each town has its own local holidays at different times. This means you don't get a mad rush for the seaside three times a year, but a controlled flow of visitors (to St Andrews for example) across the Summer months.

The banks (greedy b8st8ards, no sympathy, learn to lend responsibly and don't sponge off us when you get your fingers burned, rant over) take advantage of this by closing for all UK bank holidays plus all local holidays and every other day they can get away with, but who needs them, anyway?

Sorry about your tube problem, ross barney, days like that really suck!

I'm going out tomoro to stock up on tube's lol. I'm also gonna take my wheel to the bike shop to see if they can see anything that might have caused the punctures.....

The weather is actually supposed to be quite nice the next couple of days too, according to the radio, so I might get to make up for today's problems. :D
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Dundee public holidays are great, ok so the buses in Vomit work to the Dundee system but very few don't run. It's when you get into town and discover the buses going to the hospital are one an hour. Once ended up walking there from the city centre because it was going to be quicker. But then you get into the hospital and theres no one around, no big queue for lunch. :-)

St Andrews public holidays were a bit crap when at School, all set for a chippy from PMs and sweets from Menzies, and they were shut. School dinners it was.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • pneumatic
    nwallace wrote:
    St Andrews public holidays were a bit crap when at School, all set for a chippy from PMs and sweets from Menzies, and they were shut. School dinners it was.

You should have got your chips from Joe Palumpo's on Market Street and your sweets from Burns (8 doors up). Nae bother! :D

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• winoneday
    winoneday Posts: 253
    Another recommendation for Burns, that place is fantastic! :D
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    pneumatic wrote:
    The banks (greedy b8st8ards, no sympathy, learn to lend responsibly and don't sponge off us when you get your fingers burned, rant over)
    Riiiight - so you'll take advantage of all the positives that have come from the multiplier effect on the economy, created by banks making loans available, but you don't want to know when they're going through a hard time.

Fact is, that when the banks have a bad time we all have a bad time, so better dig deep my friend...
  • Rising house prices don't make a panacea of joy for all.
    Dan
  • That's me not long back from the bike shop. I stocked up on some extra tubes, some lube for my chain, a chain cleaner and other bits and bobs.

I'm gonna pop out later for a wee cycle so hopefully I won't have any more problems :D
  • pneumatic
    Nuggs wrote:
    pneumatic wrote:
    The banks (greedy b8st8ards, no sympathy, learn to lend responsibly and don't sponge off us when you get your fingers burned, rant over)
    Riiiight - so you'll take advantage of all the positives that have come from the multiplier effect on the economy, created by banks making loans available, but you don't want to know when they're going through a hard time.

Fact is, that when the banks have a bad time we all have a bad time, so better dig deep my friend...

Well, the governor of the bank of england agrees with me:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7372797.stm

"Banks have come to realise they are paying the price for having designed compensation packages that provide incentives that are not in the long-run interests of the banks themselves."

Ludicrous bonuses that encourage irresponsible risks based on unrealistic assumptions, and that's just INSIDE the system. At the customer interface, my bank has unilaterally put up my credit limit to three times my monthly income, my mortgage "reserve" (one phonecall away) to ten times what I currently owe, they send me credit card cheques to make it easier for me to pay my regular bills on the never-never and they bombard me with colourful little leaflets telling me how easy it would be to have the car, holiday, house extension I can't afford.

If that is not the irresponsible behaviour of a greedy b8stard, I don't know what is.

The "market" is a man-made religion like all others, reliant for its survival on the faith of its adherents, low on common sense and preached by agressive, self-interested and deluded fundamentalists.

IMHO :D

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations