North Cornwall Tor

GixerJas
GixerJas Posts: 15
Well done to anyone that did the North Cornwall Tor yesterday, especially to anyone that managed to ride up all of the hills, I think it's the equivalent of cycling up Ben Nevis two and a half times :!:

It was definitely the hardest ride I've ever done and took three hours longer than I thought it would; I think I'm still a little shell-shocked.

If anyone was considering this event but didn't make it and you're keen for a massive one day challenge then put this event on you list of rides to do, the routes were well signed and the organisation was excellent with well placed feed stations.

I can't help but think that whoever decided on the route chose the steepest hills possible and must be a total sadist :twisted: ; perhaps I'll feel differently in a few days when I've recovered.

Comments

• I managed to finish it in 7:29 hours, but I must confess that I walked about 20 metres of the 28% climb. After 80 miles my legs simply weren't up to the job anymore!
    Any idea if the times are going to be published?
    You only need one!
    FGG #2909
  • I agree this is a damned tough one. With the mixture of cold and mist on the moor, to suuny weather on the rest of the ride, oh and the hills, my legs wont forget them.

Great views, good route, and i will be back next year.

Special thanks to Ricky at Bike Chain in Redruth who squred off my creaking bottom bracket free of charge............cheers mate.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I did the short (110km) version in 5 hrs 57 mins total time, 5 hrs 35 mins cycling time.

I knew it was going to be hilly, but didn't quite appreciate how consistantly step and frequent the hills would be!

It was my first ever organised cycling event, so whilst it was bloody hard I'm glad to have it under my belt!

I'm down to do the 100 mile Dartmoor classic; I don't think that route is as steep?!
  • Dartmoor Classic won't feature as many steep climb as the North Cornwall Tor, but expect some never ending slogs in moderate or strong winds... And if it start raining, it will be an altogether different experience from what we did yesterday, as you can tell from this clip of last year's classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6NJNpeIV8I
    You only need one!
    FGG #2909
  • Did it as my first ever road event. Did the short one took me 7.49 hours and walked all the big hills as i only have a double on my rd bike, loved it, will do it again, everyone on the ride was great and very supportive, even the guy with the vid camera (Mark?) was great and really made me want to do it, everyone should have a go.

Just need to find some unfit training partners in the Plymouth area now to get out there with and get fitter, faster and less fat!
    This is why!
  • Guyzie
    Guyzie Posts: 79
    Yep, totally agree, awesome event!

Dragged my sorry ass round the long course in 8.5 hours (9.5 with stops).
    This was my first sportive and first 100 all in one. Sure chose a toughie!!
    Not too bad I guess considering my biggest training ride was 40 miles:-)

Great atmosphere and impressive organisation. Thank you Geoff and co.

Guess I'll have to go back next year as I really wanted to break 8 hours.

Times are up on the cyclosport.org site, hugely impressed with the times.

Think I might skip spinning tomorrow morning... in fact I'm going to bed now!

Cheers,
    G
  • What's going on with the times (posted here: http://www.northcornwalltor.co.uk/times.htm)? How can we tell who did 100 miles and who did 100 km?
    Does anyone know who had the fastest time over the 100 miles course?
    You only need one!
    FGG #2909
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Have a look here: http://www.cyclosport.org/article.aspx? ... e=unsecure

I think a lot of people who were down for the long route took the short option, and hence have quick looking times!

I thought there were more than 315 entrants.

Still, by my reckoning I was 35th out of the 82 originally down to do the short route.
  • rob2008
    rob2008 Posts: 3
    I doubt too many did the long course in under 6 hours.

They should be able to split the results because there was a mat at the checkpoint after 75ish miles, any rider who didn't cross that mat probably did the short course.
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    Just need to find some unfit training partners in the Plymouth area now to get out there with and get fitter, faster and less fat!

Try the YOGi Road Rides on the 3rd Saturday of each month your just the type of rider they are aimed at see website for all details.

Well done to the Yogi's that took part in the Cornwall Tor.
  • Toby_W
    Toby_W Posts: 217
    I suffered on this, rode my commuter bike with winte jkt and longs (all black) only for the weather to be blazing hot and sunny on those coast hills. I now have a fear of the words 'cove' and 'port' on any signpost. I totally died in those last 20 miles and physically couldn't push the pedals without standing on gradients I'd fly up normally.
    Very very pleased with a time of 7hr2min though. Should be easier next year now we know what to expect.

Cheers

Toby
    Dancing on the pedals