Riding in Herts with 7-year old

Hi folks

Sorry if this is a question that's been asked and/or answered a million times already...

My 7-year-old son and 9-year-old daughter are exceptionally fit and strong, and cycle well on most kinds of terrain. But the 7-year-old is nowhere near mature enough to cycle where there's any kind of traffic, even under close supervision. I'm looking for cycle rides of 6-10 miles in the general area of Berkamstead/Tring/Hemel/Watford which are essentially free of traffic. We've tried cycling the bridleways around Ashridge and Aldbury but, although they are traffic free, they aren't long enough to present much of a challenge to fit kids.

Any suggestions?

Best wishes
CC

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    whippendell woods is good. Can do a big circuit from cassiobury park to far side of the woods, across to rousebarn lane and down past the golf club to the canal back upto the park. quite hilly in places but good fun. When it reopens you can pop into / outside the clarendon arms for pint on route

There is also a cycle path from opposite the Irish club on Wiggenhall road to Ricky - you would have to do that one as a there and back. that is an offical cycle route number something.

obviously there is the canal tow path, but I'd be wary of kids on tow paths, it seems to be tempting fate somewhat.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Slightly further east, the Alban Way from St Albans (park near the big Sainsbury's or get the little train from Watford) to Hatfield and then on via Welwyn to Hertford is a good ride. Rail level crossing, high footbridge, lakes, Galleria at Hatifled with cafes, Mill Green Museum or Stanborough Park as good objectives.

You can get a free pack of all the cycle routes centred on Welwyn Hatfield by emailing

pedalpoint@welhat.gov.uk

This covers the Alban Way (NCN61), Cole Green Way and Great North Way. Or down load off the Welwyn Hatfield Council Site at

http://www.welhat.gov.uk/transportstree ... ng/cycling

Hope helps

Adam Edwards
    Welwyn Hatfield Cycling Campaign