full face vs normal helmet.

Felix-da-house-mouse
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
hi,

are the full facers only for downhill or can they be used for general all mountain riding? and whats the pro's and con's of each? i've seen a standard helmet with a face protector which looks light and allows air in but i'm not sure.
felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I think for all round use a full face is too heave and doesnt have enough airflow compared to a standard lid.

though it will feel safe i think in the summer climbing in a full face may make you head explode... literally hehe
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Basically most normal full-faced lids would be to bulky and restrictive for general riding - even the lightweight ones like Specialized's Deviant weigh a lot more than a normal lid and you would end up sweating like Gary Glitter in a Saigon police station if you wore one for normal riding.

Save 'em for the gravity assisted stuff!

Met's Parachute XC model has a removeable chin guard but personally I think that they look really ugly and they cost nearly £100 too!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • yeah that was the one i seen the met. regardless of how ugly they are if they save yer bacon could be the best £100 buck spent. i bought a £110 roadie helmet. we spend thousands and thousands on equipment and the most important bit we moan about spending £100.
    felix's bike

• I agree,
    Just spent a hundred on a full face fox and after seeing how little mud and the amount of rocks was actually on the cwmcarn trail i was very glad of it. :D
    Don't worry how much or what you look like,you'll look even worse with a smashed in face.
    The only thing to slow me down is father time.:-(
    (And the odd tree)
    Zesty 714
    Gt zaskar carbon expert
  • Dougizzle
    Dougizzle Posts: 133
    I just bought a £35 full face helmet and its very light and looks good havent tryed it yet tho because of my fractured sholder but it also had about 20/23 of its reviews being 5 stars.
    Do it if you dare
    Leaping from the sky
    Hurling through the air
    Exhilarating high
    See the earth below
    Soon to make a crater
  • dave_hill
    Don't worry how much or what you look like,you'll look even worse with a smashed in face.

Yeah, but you'll look like a cock if you start commuting with one on...

Must agree about the expense thing though - I paid nearly £600 for an Arai RX7XX motorbike helmet once and didn't even bat an eyelid...
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Yeah, but you'll look like a fool if you start commuting with one on...

Obvious but I agree, however a standard open face cycling helmets are the most ugly, cumbersome looking piece of headwear invented anyway.
    I'd rather the protec dig /cyphon style myself but it's all personal choice.
    The only thing to slow me down is father time.:-(
    (And the odd tree)
    Zesty 714
    Gt zaskar carbon expert
  • cains08
    cains08 Posts: 13
    Does anyone else find that full face restricts your vision on low speed stuff where you might not be looking that far ahead? I just bought my first helmet and went for the new Fox open face one because I felt that a full face would be too distracting to my vision (plus the fact I rarely do any proper downhill riding).
  • Full face I think is really for downhill and freeride.
    Me like trials biking me do
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    There are some helmets such as the Fox Flux and Giro Hex and Xen are standard helmets, but they ovver more protection to the back of the head - they may be worth taking a look at as a step in between.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • dave_hill
    BlackSpur wrote:
    There are some helmets such as the Fox Flux and Giro Hex and Xen are standard helmets, but they ovver more protection to the back of the head - they may be worth taking a look at as a step in between.

I've got a Hex and it's fine for everything but the really hardcore stuff.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • BoardinBob
    BoardinBob Posts: 697
    After seeing a mate narrowly avoid losing an eye after headbutting a tree on Falla Brae at Glentress, I never ride without a full face helmet.

Yes, it may be very hot when climbing but if I can, I take it off and sling it over the handlebars and put it back on at the top.

And the thought of a dental bill running into the thousands plus broken jaws, eye-socket, cheekbone etc are reason enough to justify a full face.

It shouldn't be the reserve of the DH/FR mob. Even moderate pace on a blue or red trail could result in disaster if you have an off.
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    BoardinBob wrote:
    Yes, it may be very hot when climbing but if I can, I take it off and sling it over the handlebars and put it back on at the top.
    It shouldn't be the reserve of the DH/FR mob. Even moderate pace on a blue or red trail could result in disaster if you have an off.
    i really couldn't cope with a full face on anything apart from DH, they're way too big and hot and i don't think they're worth it. i guess it depends on how often you come off.
    Also i take it you've never come off riding up a hill? some trails it can be quite easy. i rode cwmcarn at the weekend with my dad (58 - first proper bike trail) and he had far more dodgy bits on the way up than down.
  • BoardinBob
    BoardinBob Posts: 697
    BoardinBob wrote:

Also i take it you've never come off riding up a hill?

Nah, I go up hills reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy slowly :lol: :oops:
  • BlackSpur wrote:

i agree completely with black spur, i currently use my roadie giro atmos but it feels very limited on trails so may invest in some added protection.
    felix's bike

• I've got a normal lid for 'normal' off road stuff, and I've just bought a Thor Force full face lid for when I 'attempt' freeriding. For xc style riding a full face is way to hot, tried it nearly died!! Lol But I have got impressive neck muscles now though.

Yes, its funny that we spend shed loads on the latest mech or shiney new bit only to whinge that a lid is pricey. But, I'd rather have spent £130 on my Thor lid for when I stack my bike ( which I do a Lot) and hopefully save my head from getting anymore mishapen than it already is!!

Protection is priceless, now if I'd listened to my own advice I wouldn't have two daughters!!! :lol:
    mart
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    I think common sense comes into play here,

have a full face for the days when your going balls out and have a Hex/Xen when just Xcing.

Ive seen guys wearing full face helmets around family trails, with no big stuff anywhere near, i some times think they think they look cool.

Ive got a Hex and it offers more protection than a normal lid, fits really well to.
  • A full face is safer, this way I can be more secure when I fall down.
    Join me at SackUpSports Community http://sackupsports.com Climbing -
    Downhill Biking - Ski - Snowboard
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    RussAlf wrote:
    I think common sense comes into play here,

have a full face for the days when your going balls out and have a Hex/Xen when just Xcing.

This is pretty much my opinion too.

I sweat enough in my Hex that I couldn't bring myself to wear a full face helmet on most of the terrain I ride on. Should I find myself doing more extreme stuff I'll probably pony up for a full face and some pads (and some decent flat pedals to replace my clipless).