Fan man!

homercles
homercles Posts: 499
edited April 2008 in Commuting chat
I saw the weirdest thing on my commute today - a guy cycling along (between Tooting Bec and Balham) with a large fan mounted on the handlebars of his bike. It was caged on one side (the side facing him, wisely) and did appear to be spinning, though I couldn't tell if it was the wind or some sort of power arrangement that was spinning the blades.

Has anyone else seen this guy? Are you him? What's the deal?? I can only think it's a cooling device (surely only needed on a turbo?) - I don't reckon you needed one of those this morning and it must be pretty dangerous!

Comments

• attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Did he have spokey dokeys too?

How about a bit of yoghurt pot clipped to the frame with a clothes peg so that it passed through the spokes to make it sound like a motorbike?

God I miss my Raleigh Tomahawk
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • star_rover
    star_rover Posts: 318
    I've seen him a few times (on Cavendish Road) as well. But the fan is facing the wrong way for cooling - maybe he thinks it's a propeller?
  • homercles
    star_rover wrote:
    I've seen him a few times (on Cavendish Road) as well. But the fan is facing the wrong way for cooling - maybe he thinks it's a propeller?

Must be aiming for an ET-style lift off effect at speed.
  • Swannie
    Swannie Posts: 107
    One of these?

http://www.hymini.com/html/HYmini.html

A keen cycling friend was given one as a present. Not seen it attached to her bike yet, but it does get used in her windy garden :-)
  • homercles
    No - much bigger. Like a proper household desk fan!
  • Swannie
    Swannie Posts: 107
    Hmm, then quite possibly the same idea but with a bigger fan = more power?

Regardless of the size, still less power/work ration than using a nice modern generator hub...