Tyre Width - 1.8 or 2.1?

judith_sw
judith_sw Posts: 101
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
My bike currently has 1.95 x 26 tyres. I would like to replace them with good all-rounders that can cope with mud, wet tree routes, but also gravel and hard-packed trail. I've seen the Panaracer Fire XC pro is good, but am open to other recommendations.

Also, should I go for 1.8 or 2.1? I'm assuming 2.1. Are they compatible with all wheels?

Thanks!

Comments

• The 2.1 Panaracer Fire XC pro's have served me well over the last few years :wink:
    Should fit fine on any MTB rim I've ever come across
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    2.1 i reckon and try to get the kevlar beaded ones too as i've read they're better quality than the oem ones, think the kevlar ones have much bigger writing on them?
  • dunker wrote:
    2.1 i reckon and try to get the kevlar beaded ones too as i've read they're better quality than the oem ones, think the kevlar ones have much bigger writing on them?

Yep there the ones I have. They need to be the ones made in Japan, I ordered some online once and they were mad in China or something and only had a small red line on them. Sent them back and got the right one from Halfords :oops: of all places. Only a pound or 2 dearer than other places and quicker at the time.
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    I'd go 2.1 for sure.
  • judith_sw
    judith_sw Posts: 101
    Thanks! I've ordered the 2.1s and hope to have them for the weekend! Whatever happens, they will be a big improvement on the ones on at the moment.
  • Bossangel
    Bossangel Posts: 164
    I have just fitted Panaracer Cinder 2.1 to my mtb and they stick to the ground like crap to a blanket. Excellent fun and a brilliant buy
    Why use brakes? Falling off is a much quicker way to stop
  • dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    Bossangel wrote:
    I have just fitted Panaracer Cinder 2.1 to my mtb and they stick to the ground like crap to a blanket. Excellent fun and a brilliant buy

what a beautiful simile you used there
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    A popular set up is to have 2.1 on the front and 1.9 on the back.

Thinner tyre on the back cuts through the mud , gives more grip and has lower rolling resistance.
    Increased width on the front tyre gives greater air volume so lower pressure can be used.

Experimenting with different tyres and pressures on the terrain that you commonly ride is really the only way to find out what works best. Every time you wash out or fall off you know you have got it wrong.
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    I have some 2.35 WTB's on my Marin that are about 2.5 when fitted

and some 2.35 High Rollers i bought today are about 2.1 when fitted

yey for standardising! :)
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Youuld try 2.2" conti mountain kings come up closer to 2.1" or Maxxis ADvantage in 2.1, they're both only about £13 a tyre which is pretty good.

In fact I have a pair of the Maxxis that have never even been fitted to a bike in my garage