Good rides in the West Midlands

smithosa
smithosa Posts: 26
edited August 2008 in Family & kids cycling forum
So we (me the mrs and two little boys) have lived in Durham for the past five years, and it's been a great place to introduce our kids to the world of cycling. Hamsterly forrest has seen us chew up many miles not to mention the brilliant railway tracks in Co. Durham. With some sense of trepidation we're about to move to just outside of Brum, and I am less than delighted. Most of all I've lots of nerves about fiow long it'll take to find good places to go and chew some miles on nice safe off road tracks with the boys. Any advice which might make me feel a little more optimisitc would be much apreciated., especially if that advice involves places you can camp!

thanks and apologies to the midlanders if that sounds like a downer on the midlands, I'll just miss Durham an awful lot :( !

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have you found cannock chase yet? i think it is midlands http://www.chasetrails.co.uk/
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • richard_l
    richard_l Posts: 375
    West Midlands is a big area. Which part are you moving to and I will try and provide some links to family friendly routes?
  • smithosa
    smithosa Posts: 26
    Sorry mate I was being deliberately vague in order to throw the net a little wider. We're moving to Brum, I'm about to become the Methodist minister of a church in Saltley and another in Ward End (i know its rough please don't remind me!). So far as I understand thing's we'll be living on Coleshill rd which they tell me is just a few minutes from junction 5 of the M6.

I look forward to your suggestions.
  • richard_l
    richard_l Posts: 375
    smithosa wrote:
    Sorry mate I was being deliberately vague in order to throw the net a little wider. We're moving to Brum, I'm about to become the Methodist minister of a church in Saltley and another in Ward End (i know its rough please don't remind me!). So far as I understand thing's we'll be living on Coleshill rd which they tell me is just a few minutes from junction 5 of the M6.

I look forward to your suggestions.

OK - will post up some info.

As a starterfor local routes, you have the Cole Valley Route right on your doorstep
    http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateCo ... NU_ID=5619

and you would do well to look at the local cycling map, which only came out last year.
    http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/GenerateCo ... U_ID=14179

There is also a Solihull map as well, which covers up to your area also.
    Solihull Cycle map 2005 - Solihull MBC, tel: 0121 704 8921

Will post more in due course.
  • mondobongo
    mondobongo Posts: 13
    Cannock Chase is all that you want and more, as an emigree moved from the Midlands last year to Lancs seriously recomend it. Good parking and facilities with all levels of rider catered for its worth the short jaunt up the m6 to jct 11.

It may well be worth you contacting Russell Eden who runs Stourbugs, Stourbridge is out of your way but the guy has an a good knowledge of the West Mids and may well be able to point you in the direction of family oriented riding.

Stourbugs
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    You can easily reach Wyre Forest near Bewdley in Worcestershire where there are two easy rides plus a more technical ride.

If you fancy heading along the M54 in to Shropshire there's Ironbridge and the Jack Mytton Way heading up the Long Mynd

Steve C
    Steve C
  • I live in Dudley, if I want a good trail ride I have to travel, otherwise it's along the "cut"
  • david 142
    david 142 Posts: 227
    Sometimes you just have to make the most of what lies on your doorstep. For cyclists in Brum that means the network of canals. The towpaths allow you to cycle off road to many areas of the city.
    I've just looked at the A2Z. From Coleshill Road you should be able to follow the River Cole towards Small Heath without too much trouble, passing through a succession of recreation grounds. The worst moment will be when you reach the A45 aka The Coventry Road. Fear not - there are crossing points. If you make your way over and left into Kings Road you will be able to descend to the tow path of the Grand Union Canal. Turn right and you are heading towards the city centre. You will pass by, and could access, the Ackers trust, an outdoor activity centre. You will reach the Broad St Complex, The Rep, Concert Hall, Sea Life centre, NIA etc. From here you could head off towards Dudley and Wolverhampton. You could also tackle a very pleasant circular route passing down the side of Gas St Basin, past the University, Cadbury World at Bournville, turning left onto the Stratford on Avon canal then branching off and following the River Cole past Sarehole Mill to the Ackers Trust. For most of this distance you would find it hard to believe you are in a built up area. I could supply a detailed description if you need it - I'm reluctant to just post it here for copyright reasons - I cut it out of a mag!
    Obviously you will find loads more options, but theres an idea to help you get going. I have to say though, I wouldnt suggest camping along the towpath! :lol:

Musttryharder07: 36 mile round trip from Dudley!. Cakestop at Sarehole Mill - check opening times though!
  • David142: Since posting that reply I have ventured further afield and I have found myself in Birmingham City centre an more than a couple of occasions....more or less along that route, I hadn't calculated the mileage, I'd just rode and saw where it took me. I didn't realise it was 36 miles though....

But yes, I can recommend that route.