Hi all from a complete newbie!

Duffer
Duffer Posts: 379
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
Eh up, all!

as the title suggests, i'm a complete newbie to mountain biking, but am highly interested in getting into the sport. i had a BMX as a kid that i had much fun breaking at the weekend around Lincoln city centre, before fixing it again so i could ride it to school on the monday... ahh, the memories :)

anyway, about me. my name is steve, i'm 20 years old, living in weston super mare. i'm currently serving in the RAF at Lyneham, near swindon. because of the nature of my job, i frequent such holiday destinations as Iraq and Afghanistan (come to mention it, i'm off to the desert on a week tuesday)

anyway - question. i uncovered an old Saracen burried at the back of our garage the other week. (i've no idea of a model number, i just know it says saracen on the side!) so i'm guessing it's not really going to be man enough to stand up to anything more serious than a mild dirt track...? and i'm not really prepared to go splashing £500 plus on a serious bike at this stage. so am i completely wasting my time upgrading the one i've got? my other option is to build one from scratch - this is my personal favourite option really, given my love of building things and working on stuff. is this option going to be realistic?

any opinions/advice from seasoned bikers will be greatly recieved!

lastly, anyone know of some good tracks around weston super mare, or swindon area?

thanks all

steve

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Building a bike up from scratch can be fun and gives you the satisfaction of knowing it's truly your bike. However it will definitely be more expensive than buying a new bike off the shelf. Components cost more and you will need some basic bike specific tools. You will also need your local bike shop to do a couple of bits (install the headset cups into the frame and possibly face your bottom bracket) which they might charge for. I'm not saying don't do it, just don't see it as a cheap or easy option.

Personally in your position I'd give the Saracen a thrashing. If you like riding it you'll be able to justify the expense of a new bike (or building one). I wouldn't try upgrading the Saracen, just make sure everything is lubed up and works OK (save the money for a new bike :D ). Either way enjoy your riding (and fettling).

P.S. if you do buy a new bike after ridning the Saracen chances are it will feel way better :lol: .
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    stumpyjon wrote:
    Building a bike up from scratch can be fun and gives you the satisfaction of knowing it's truly your bike. However it will definitely be more expensive than buying a new bike off the shelf. Components cost more and you will need some basic bike specific tools. You will also need your local bike shop to do a couple of bits (install the headset cups into the frame and possibly face your bottom bracket) which they might charge for. I'm not saying don't do it, just don't see it as a cheap or easy option.

Personally in your position I'd give the Saracen a thrashing. If you like riding it you'll be able to justify the expense of a new bike (or building one). I wouldn't try upgrading the Saracen, just make sure everything is lubed up and works OK (save the money for a new bike :D ). Either way enjoy your riding (and fettling).

P.S. if you do buy a new bike after ridning the Saracen chances are it will feel way better :lol: .

yeh you are probably best keeping the saracen like said above. atleast then you can get a good understanding of mountain biking then go and blow all your money on a bike :wink: also one thing i would definetely do with the saracen is get a service at your lbs, then everything will be working properly and wont be falling apart on the trails...
  • Can't offer you much advice about bikes as I've recently rediscovered cycling and bought a brand new one.

I will say be careful and best wishes on your "holidays" to the desert and the same to all your fellow "Holiday" makers, keep up the good work.
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    For routes: Get yourself an OS map and have a look - loads and loads of Byways, Bridleways and RUPPs down that part of Wiltshire. Just don't ride on a footpath!

I've not ridden many of them, but driven loads. Should give more than enough fun for a beginner though.

Rafe
  • Duffer
    Duffer Posts: 379
    thanks for all the replies guys!

i think i'm pretty much settled on building one. i'll probably keep the saracen for pottering around on, keeping the valuable one locked away in the garage.
    stumpyjon wrote:
    You will also need your local bike shop to do a couple of bits (install the headset cups into the frame and possibly face your bottom bracket) which they might charge for.

i'm afraid i'm not farmilliar with these components. what are the headset cups, and how does one "face" a bottom bracket?
    I will say be careful and best wishes on your "holidays" to the desert and the same to all your fellow "Holiday" makers, keep up the good work.

thank you very much :) i'm glad to hear someone who appreciates the work that the forces do

take care all
    steve