What Accessories Do I Need?

neenawdriver
neenawdriver Posts: 8
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
I'm pretty new to the whole MTB'ing thing and I'm heading away to Devon for a weekend with my girlfriend and the bikes. We're planning on heading round some easy trails, nothing too heavy going, just a couple of leisurely ride outs.

What kit should I be looking at taking with us?

So far I've figured that we should take

Puncture Repair Kit
Pump
Spare Inner Tube?
Multi-Tool
Food and Drinks
A Map

Is there anything else that we might need?

What kind of map would be best? I'm planning on getting an OS map but I'm not sure which type?

Comments

• An ajustable spanner is always useful!
    Eat, ride, sleep. Repeat
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Dump the puncture repair kit and carry spare tubes (you really don't want to be trying to repair a puncture in the cold and rain, replacing a tube only takes a couple of minutes). A couple of tyre levers would also be a good idea.
    Other things I carry are:
      Chain splitter tool and spare SRAM power links or Shimano connecting pins (depends on your chain). Couple of cable ties (surprising what you can fix with cable ties :lol: ) First aid kit. Park tool tyre patches (in case you're unlucky enough to rip a tyre).
    As for maps, personally I prefer the 1:25000 OS maps because of the higher level of detail. They show walls and field boundaries which can be quite good for accurately identifying where you are.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • small role of electrical tape

for teh same reason as the cable ties
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    small role of electrical tape

Sorry TOTALY NEWBIE, What would they be used for ?
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • gb155 wrote:
    small role of electrical tape

Wrap them round your leg/arm to prevent the loss of blood when you injure your self out on the trails :wink: Or for DIY'ing stuff that might snap off during your ride like your rear mech and stuff.
  • ac220v
    ac220v Posts: 15

Wrap them round your leg/arm to prevent the loss of blood when you injure your self out on the trails :wink: Or for DIY'ing stuff that might snap off during your ride like your rear mech and stuff.

Well, not sure cable ties are any good as tourniquets or if you should do it at all.

Undoubtedly useful for all kinds of emergency repairs, not just bike, as are superglue and epoxy.
    Sorry for any non-English in the post.
  • Cheers for the replies. I'll look into getting some of these things sorted this week :D

As for using a cable tie for a tourniquet, I'll be giving that one a miss :shock: :lol: