Trying to build up trail-wise ... suggestions?

judith_sw
judith_sw Posts: 101
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi,

Thanks for all the previous advice. I've been to Llandegla a couple of times and done the blue - no problems. I'm a bit slow on the descents but can do the ascents.

I tried the Marin route yesterday and had a REALLY good day (i.e. forgot all about the sh*t week at work I'd had :lol: ). It took me 3 hours 10, which I was quite pleased with. Ascents fine apart from at the end, when I was really tired. Descents tricky at first, but I found myself getting to grips (literally) with it all by the end. How does that time seem? I'd love to go out with other people, but am a bit embarrassed about being slow just yet and don't want to hold anyone up.

Decided to go and do something a bit easier today, so headed out to Llyn Brenig and just went around the lake, which I found a bit boring in places, as I was missing the single-track!!! (I was glad not to have much ascent though, as my legs still feel a bit knackered!).

Any suggestions for tried and tested routes in NW? I've got the Bikefax books, but always like to go on recommendation, if possible.

Also... I'd like to try the Red at Llandegla some time, but am getting a bit put off by all the talk of slippery wooden sections (where the chicken wire has come off). I'm not keen on falling off (yes, I am a bit of a wimp), but I'm still learning and don't have any body armour!!!

Thanks in advance.

Judith

Comments

• do the red
    i do the red/black
    i had my 1st go with spds on the other weekend so when i got to the log bit i just walked up it, did start ridin til i slipped to much lol
    when i got to the down slope i started ridin again until sum 1 got in me way lol
    just walk it, make sure no 1 is behind an ul be laffin
    it aint that high in most sections either tbh!
  • judith_sw
    Thanks - I guess that's what I need to know ... that I can get around / wlk something if I can't ride it. I'm definitely lackingin experience, but am willing to have a go at new stuff, provided I don't feel utterly terrified by it!

Cheers!

Judith
  • gtr mart
    gtr mart Posts: 176
    I have ridden both landegla and the grizedale route and despite not having much trail experiance I rode the black on both of them and wouldnt hesitate to ride the black at any other route. I rode past the signs warning you of the danger and just thought what a load of BS.

that said, I have recently converted to SPD's and whilst its been fine on real light stuff I am apprehensive that this is going to kill my 'bravado' for nailing these so called harder runs. I will be investing in some cheap body armour before hand and then vigourously polishing my helmet in anticipation....

You will be fine unless you have seriously bad balance. Give it a go no probs.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    gtr mart, be carefull, just because the black route at Llandegla's not particularly hard- it doesn't follow that all black routes are the same.
    There is no black route at Grizedale, but the NFT would be a good choice for a beginner (I still enjoy it now tho') not too technical, only 10 miles as well so a stop for lunch at the VC and a second loop is recommended.

Judith if you enjoyed the Marin trail, drive a little further up the road and go to Penmachno, you have a choice there as there are two loops and the second one is optional. I think its the best trail in North Wales, especially with the second loop open. Not got any facilities (yet?) but Betws-y-coed is only down the road with plenty of cafes etc...

And as for SPD's.... well having ridden in them for over 12 months now, I've just gone back to flat pedals.... and they are much better! I put longer pins in and am running 5:10's so much grip on the pedal its untrue!
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Judith, if your up north hit coed y brenin, me and a group will up there for the bank holiday weekend and we are sloooow! lol the mbr trail is very nice i know
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    judith_sw wrote:
    Thanks - I guess that's what I need to know ... that I can get around / wlk something if I can't ride it. I'm definitely lackingin experience, but am willing to have a go at new stuff, provided I don't feel utterly terrified by it!

Cheers!

Judith

Coed Y Brenin is great, a bit further South near Dolgellau but well worth the drive - my mate's 12 year old daughter can manage most of the singletrack sections (except Morticia and Gomez right at the top of the Dragon's Back run)

Don't be put off by your experiences at Llyn Brenig. I think that part of the fun and adventure of trail riding is exploring and making up your own routes - the trail centres are great for developing skills and fitness but don't be blinded to the fact that there's thousands of miles of bridleways and byways out there waiting to be discovered.

The best way to do it is to get an OS map for your area and identify all the (legally) accessible tracks by going over it with a highlighter pen. Then string a loop together out of what you have found and go and try it out.

Obviously, this isn't a fool-proof method as some tracks may well be unrideable, or they may be plain boring, but to my mind this is all part of the fun!

I'm lucky in that I live slap-bang in the middle of an absolutely fantastic area for trails, and after nealry 20 years I'm still discovering new ones!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • gtr mart
    short of big drop offs I dont think the black trails would be that bad. I do most of my riding in the lakes and some of that, when ridden at speed can be very dangourous.

I think your right actually about the lack of black trail at Grizedale. We normally go away from the trail centre - not sure the exact route but it cuts a big chunk of fire road and takes us through a fuill on mud bath road. one year it was so muddy a guy was riding through one of the 'puddles' (mud and water half way up the bike) and he fell off and the bike stayed upright on its own...! Great fun. It runs us along the top of the one of the mountains where you can look down onto a large plain of water. Makes it a longer day and much more fun.
  • ratty2k
    Ah, they aren't part of the NFT. They are original bridalways, been down one of them but didn't have a map so just turned round and went back the way I'd coame. Was a great long decent tho'! :D
    Possibly the same one you are describing going down to Low Parkamoor, and that means you'd be looking down onto Coniston water.
    My Pics !

• gtr mart
    Yes thats sounds about right. Just before you climb back up to the top where you look down on the water, you come to an abandoned cottage if I remember correctly. Some brilliant views and a great ride to boot.

last time I rode the North Shore I managed to do the really thin bit on the large northshore section. It jutts of at 45 degrees from the main bit and is probably just over 6 foot long? Can you remember?

I got across, but one of the guys I was riding with wasnt so lucky - falling into the water / NS boards each of the 3 times he tried. Despite feeling bad for him, I still managed to laugh!

Do you know the bit I am talking about?
  • judith_sw
    Thanks for all the replies!

I'm free this coming weekend and then will be off the bike weekends for 2 or 3 weeks (hopefully climbing instead). I live near Chester, so don't mind travelling up to 90 mins each way for a bit of fun. Can't manage long days, as I'm completing an OU course as well as working full-time, so free time is at a bit of a premium at the moment. That said, last weekend in particular has got me really fired up!

Wondering about Coed y Brenin, Penmachno (if I can get some info), or Karrimor Route. Need some single-track (and fear). No body armour, though!

Keep the recommendations coming in!

Thewaylander - unfortunately up in Lakes with my mum that weekend, but hope you have lots of fun. I don't think I'll get away with taking my bike, but if anyone knows of a good route of 2 hours or so near Windermere ... :twisted:

Judith
  • ratty2k
    Penmachno has loads of singletrack, especially the second loop where it tends to be quite long sections as well....
    Took me a while, but found this.... no pics of second loop, but it is fantastic....
    http://www.dilan4.com/beics/dolen1a.htm

oh, and an updated map...

Penmachno2.jpg
    My Pics !

• judith_sw
    That looks really good! How far is it? Is it easy to follow / waymarked?

Thanks,

Judith
  • ratty2k
    Yep, all waymarked. and IIRC its 30km with 1200+m of clmbing....
    My Pics !