Ferry routes to France - advice please

ctilbury
ctilbury Posts: 21
edited April 2008 in Tour & expedition
I am thinking of doing some riding in the Pas de Calais, but am unsure whether I would be better off taking the bike by car or on its own by ferry. Does anyone have any advice as to the best route to take, etc?

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If you go sans car then you can go as a foot passenger and save afew quid and spend it on duty frees. Drive down to Dover and park the car up somewhere safe. Not sure if there is still a lot of immigrants staying in the town. You might be better off parking out of town and catching the train to Dover or riding the last 10 or so miles.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Depends what you ride and whether it can take the luggage you will need. If your bike is set up with racks and panniers, then load em up, ride to a channel port, go on as a foot passenger (although you actually board with the trucks), find a base to stay at in Pas de Calais and do unencumbered day rides from there.

Hotels in France are really cheap and the riding is pure pleasure. Save the cost (and hassle) of taking the car and treat yourself to some nice meals.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    A few years ago we drove to Weymouth, parked the car there and just went over as foot passengers with Condor to St Malo. Condor put the car in secure parking for a small fee.
  • ctilbury
    ctilbury Posts: 21
    Thanks!
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    Dover has a sharp little climb on a rough surface after ticket office, then you mix it with the traffic. On return, there is a marked line to follow that takes you to an electric gate which allows you to bypass the lorry scrum.
    In Calais, look for the sign "Centre Ville" after French Customs. It's a slip road that takes you to a roundabout.
    Turn right at the roundabout and across a little harbour bridge to get to Calais town centre and quieter roads to Les Deux Caps.
    Go straight on at the roundabout and take the second proper left to reach a little bridge over the motorway to reach a network of really quiet lanes to go up towards Belgium via Gravelines. Pretty countryside, lots of birds.
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K