What size frame is best ?

anthony4
anthony4 Posts: 29
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

I'm about to order my first road bike - a Scott CR1. I'm 5'9 with 29" inside leg - the shop have recommended a Small size frame - 52cm. Does this sound right? I expected them to recommend a medium based on my height - I'm not sure what sort of things to look out for when deciding if the frame is the right size. Can anyone offer some tips?

Thanks

Anthony

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    The only worthwhile tip is to test ride one, even if it is only on a turbo trainer or round the block. Guessing the size and getting it wrong is an expensive way to end up with a bike you hate.
  • Anthony Get properly measured. Using height and inside leg is NO indication of bike size.

You could be needing a top tube lenght of anywhere between 52.0 cm and 56.2

If your retailer cannot measure you look at www.Bikefitting.com and find someone who can.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hi, i would suggest you are right on the border between the small 52 and medium 54 so either would be ok. The small will be less of a stretch to the bars and would be easier to adjust to fit you, the medium might feel a bit too long. Obviously it would be better to try them both if possible.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    anthony4 wrote:
    Hi,

I'm about to order my first road bike - a Scott CR1. I'm 5'9 with 29" inside leg - the shop have recommended a Small size frame - 52cm. Does this sound right? I expected them to recommend a medium based on my height - I'm not sure what sort of things to look out for when deciding if the frame is the right size. Can anyone offer some tips?

Thanks

Anthony

I'm very comfortable on a Lemond 55cm ( and am the same size as you) - I think you need to try both sizes. I would guess that on a 52cm frame you will need a bit more seatpost showing so your bum will be in the air with the bars low so that you will then naturally be adopting more of a racing crouch. I'm happy with my bigger frame as i prefer a slightly more relaxed upright position, and not such a difference in height between saddle and handlebars. Depends what you want and feel most comfortable with.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    feel wrote:
    anthony4 wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks

Anthony

Are you SURE about inside leg - for your height it sounds more like trouser length. For example, although I've probably got relatively long legs, at nearly 5'10" (having shrunk nearly an inch in 40 years!) my actual inside leg length is 33".

Feel's point re position is also relevant, particularly saddle to bar vertiical difference. I ride frames that are on the limit of big/too big simply because I prefer only an inch or so saddle to bars drop.

I hope (though not with any great optimism) that the shop is not simply judging by your heoght (and what bikes carry biggest profit margins and which are least likely to sell. Oh....that'll be why "small" rather than "medium"!!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    29" does seem a bit small, my inside leg is 80cm (31.5in - [I take 30in trousers]).

Personally I prefer a smaller bike - the reach is the most important thing IMO, it doesn't really matter how seatpost is showing as long as you are comfortable with your reach to your bars.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • anthony4
    anthony4 Posts: 29
    Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the advice.

I think I have made a mistake on inside leg! have based it on trouser length!

Any more comments would be appreciated

Cheers
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    anthony4 wrote:
    Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the advice.

I think I have made a mistake on inside leg! have based it on trouser length!

Any more comments would be appreciated

Cheers
    I assumed you were talking trouser length, so we are the same size and my comment still applies.

what sort of riding do you intend to use your bike for Anthony?
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Its all swings and roundabouts. The best thing , as anyone will tell you is to try the bike out for size. I am only 5ft 6 but have the same inside leg measurement as you. I obviously have quite a short upper body, especially my arms, so when looking at manufacturers size recommendations and geometry charts sometimes they where well out. In my case i have to always have to go for what would be one size smaller to get the standover height right and then adjust the bar reach with an adecuate stem. Normally bikes that would apparently fit seat tube wise would have too long a top tube.

So all I can say is try as many bikes as you can, even if its at least to know what ball park your in.

Rob
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    It purely depends on the geometry of the frame in question and of course the length of your legs. If the seat tube is such that it means you putting your seat down and down, then the small is probably correct. Med could be too big.

I am exactly the same as you, longer torso and shorter legs, so sometimes have to go for a smaller size to get the right fitting.
  • It purely depends on the geometry of the frame in question and of course the length of your legs. If the seat tube is such that it means you putting your seat down and down, then the small is probably correct. Med could be too big.

I am exactly the same as you, longer torso and shorter legs, so sometimes have to go for a smaller size to get the right fitting.

This is BACK TO FRONT.

Longer Torso with short legs equals A BIGGER frame as TOP TUBE length is the critical factor.

Go and have a proper measure from a Professional Road Shop and get the right size.

You never know they may know what they are talking about
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting