Any advice :)

Rob Wild
Rob Wild Posts: 3
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Hi pretty new to this place so go easy :)

Just wanted a bit of advice. Im recovering from a car accident and unfortunately can't train the way i use to but have found road biking ok. I've got a cheapish road bike atm which im just using while the weathers not so great and to build up so fitness.

Anyway i've been doing some research into getting a new bike. I've been round all my lbs and have found 3/4 i really like:

1) Jamis Xenith Comp 07 upgraded to Ultegra group set and wheels £1100
2) Feltracing Z35 105 group set £1299
3) Ribble Dedacciai Nero Corsa Ultegra £1099
4) Ribble Dedacciai Scuro HCR/Ultegra SL 10 Double £1375

But i was wondering which one you though was the best? I mean they are all light bikes i.e. 18lbs or less with the Ribble Scuro being the lightest at just under 17lbs. When I was in Ribble the other day the only thing that concerns me about the Ribble Dedacciai Scuro is how durable the frame will be long term i.e. a good couple of year’s worth of use. I also really like the Jamis and seems a lot of bike for the money. Also how does the Shimano Ultegra SL bottom bracket compare to the FSA Mega Exo, external bearing that the Jamis uses?

Sorry for all the questions and any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance :)

P.S. Im 6.0ft so was looking at 56cm frames

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    edited April 2008
    The BBs on all these bikes are very similar. No need to worry there, They are all good.
    Check how the frames are measured. Some measure BB centre to top of seat tube (C to T) and some measure BB centre to top tube centre (C to C). With a sloping TT you would have to equate this to where a horizontal one would be on the seat post. I am 5' 10" and ride 56cm C to T frames so this size could be a bit small for you. More critical is getting a bike with a comfortable length top tube as it is much easier to raise or lower the saddle than to have to buy new stems. Normal stem lengths are between 10cm and 13cm. Either side of this can affect how a bike feels to ride by making the steering feel a bit lively or slow.
    As has been said on here often the best thing is to road test as much as possible. I did a 65 mile test on a demo bike before buying my Madone 5.2. It sounds a lot but I bought the bike so it was worth the shop doing it. Some shops charge to take a longer test but usually knock this off the price if you buy. If it ends up costing you it is still cheaper than buying a mistake.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The Nero Corsa is a good comfortable bike, however if the Scuro is within your budget that's probably a better bet.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • ave_it
    ave_it Posts: 16
    Hi Rob,

I am currently using the Jamis Xenith comp and I can recommend it fully, have a look at this site this is were I got mine from http://www.buyabikedirect.co.uk/products.php?action=prodinfo&pid=3157 and it was a lot less than 1100.
  • Rob Wild
    Rob Wild Posts: 3
    Thanks John some really good info :) Like you said i think i will go in and see if they will let me have a test ride and i'll check over the 56 or 58cm :)

Cheers redddraggon. Do you think the Scuro would be good long term as in durable? Have you had a ride on one matey? Just i can't seem to find any reviews of that frame :)

Ave_IT:- What size did you go for? Yeah your right on the price although the £1100 was with the upgrades to Ultergra :)

Thanks guys