road pedals and shoes

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
at the moment i have shimano m520 spd pedals and shimano mt 20 spd shoes if i get some road shoes and pedals will there be much difference

Comments

• krakow
    krakow Posts: 110
    I know that the pedal tension is adjustable, but I find SPD-SL significantly more difficult to clip in and out of than SPD, even given that. There is a corresponding increase in the 'solidity' of the hold between the pedal and the shoe while cycling when using SPD-SL however. I'm on relatively early days of using clipless on my general commuter bike, having fitted M540's (SPD), but have had SPD-SL on my road bike since the get-go a few years ago. I find switching between the two is taking some getting used too.
  • McHattie
    McHattie Posts: 146
    Yes, a big difference, andy610. I have SPDs 'eggbeaters' on one bike, and 'proper' SPD-SL pedals on my best bike, and there is a significant variation in the 'stiffness' of the hold. I find the SPD-SLs much, much stiffer, and harder to clip into as well, but they are comfortable on long rides and may provide more power and solidity when climbing. It's a good to try both, I think.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Yes, your pocket will be about £100 lighter and you won't be able to walk when you get off your bike :lol:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.