Looking for some shoes....

truebrit87
truebrit87 Posts: 38
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
I've just bought a Boardman Pro and the pedals that come with the bike are Shimano M505R SPD. Can anyone recommend a good shoe? Cheers.

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    what sort of riding will you be doing.

have you used spds before.

when i got my first pair of spd pedals i opted for a cheap well in the sale pair of shoes just to see if i could take to them after hearing horror stories..

first pair i got were lake mx85 cost me £30 in sale i only use these to commute in.

i got a pair of lake mx 101 to mtb in these are prety good confy to walk in but not to good in winter they a summer shoe

for winter i use diadora chillie extreme to commute in

and lake mxz301 as my mtb shoes these are awesome waterproof warm comfy a bit bulky and probably not good to race in as they are a bit on the heavyside, but you wont suffer from cold wet feet..

im sure other ppl will give recomendations to best bet is to look online for a pair you like get a price defo go to your lbs to try a few pairs on as size can be an issue ....

i rate all four pairs i have as each pair is used in different conditions.
  • mainly to commute and a little off road
  • slimbob
    slimbob Posts: 35
    Think the DHB shoes from Wiggle got good reviews, seem excellent value for the price.

As the fella mentioned before, best get a cheap pair to try. If you start with a summerish pair as it's gonna be fantastically hot this year ( 8) :?: ) if it is cold you can get some overshoes and or waterproof socks and if you like them get some winter boots for the er winter/british summer. It's hard to cover all bases with one shoe - I've got trainery shimano's for pootling around, winter boots and Sidi road shoes.

If you're gonna be walking in them alot then get the ones more like a normal shoe than a mtb shoe (if that makes sense?). I've never heard any bad stories about mtb shoes so whichever ones you can get a bargain on - make sure you don't get a road shoe you can't walk on at all! :shock:
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I bought these http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=23179 found them to be the best shoes I've had, good clearance round the cleat for easy engagement, comfy to walk in keeping cleat of the ground, don't look stupid. I would say they are leisure shoes rather than race shoes but they do what I want.
  • Jimmy Mc
    Jimmy Mc Posts: 35
    CraigXXL wrote:
    I bought these http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=23179 found them to be the best shoes I've had, good clearance round the cleat for easy engagement, comfy to walk in keeping cleat of the ground, don't look stupid. I would say they are leisure shoes rather than race shoes but they do what I want.

They look pretty cool. Does the type of pedal you have determine what shoes you can have or is this just down to the cleat? I'm thinking of going clipless but am unsure of what pedals to go for. The two main types I've seen are SPDs and Eggbeaters.
  • CraigXXL
    I don't think it does. I have Shimano M520 SPD pedals with the Specialized BG Taho shoes and work together a treat. I ahve previousl y used Nike shoes and an other pair that I can't remember with Shimano and Wellgo SPD without any problems.

I recommend the Shimano pedals as the they are very reliable and easy to use so long as you don't leave mud in the pedals to dry out and stop the mechanism from moving but this would be the same for most SPD's.

If you want the other branded shoes that I can't remember the name of in a size 10 then let me know as they are sat in the garage doing nothing.
  • Jimmy Mc
    Jimmy Mc Posts: 35
    CraigXXL wrote:
    I don't think it does. I have Shimano M520 SPD pedals with the Specialized BG Taho shoes and work together a treat. I ahve previousl y used Nike shoes and an other pair that I can't remember with Shimano and Wellgo SPD without any problems.

I recommend the Shimano pedals as the they are very reliable and easy to use so long as you don't leave mud in the pedals to dry out and stop the mechanism from moving but this would be the same for most SPD's.

If you want the other branded shoes that I can't remember the name of in a size 10 then let me know as they are sat in the garage doing nothing.

Cheers! They're just a size too big unfortunately. I'm going to Evans Cycles tomorrow so will try on those Specialized shoes.
  • CraigXXL
    When it comes to fitting your cleats to the shoes try to have your foot sat naturally on the pedal. This will mean that the cleat won't be central down the shoe ad will need a little tweaking to get it right for you natural foot position. If you feel any unusual strain in your knees and/or ankles then you will need to adjust them a little more.
  • This may be a pretty dumb question, but do the shoes just clip directley into the pedal or do the cleats come seperate? As you can tell I dont really know much on the subject :roll:
  • CraigXXL
    The cleats are pedal dependent and are usually included with them.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    They should of given you the cleats when you picked the bike up as they come with the pedals.
  • non were supplied, will I be able to get them seperate?
  • CraigXXL
    Yes, go to your LBS if you don't have any luck with bike supplier. LBS will charge around £6.
  • thanks for the advice, I'll check it out next weekend.
  • WillyM
    WillyM Posts: 18
    CraigXXL wrote:

They look cool. Can you use them with grank brothers pedals?
  • CraigXXL
    The cleat that goes with the pedal dictates the fit not the shoe you attach the cleat to, so the is yes.