Bar ends

davidncohen
davidncohen Posts: 17
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
I have a Specialized Sirrus Comp which I bought in 2006. Initially I had the shop put on some very junky bar ends and I've had these on the bike ever since. When touring I use them here and there, but commuting I don't bother.

So, for some reason I decided to remove them. I was left with about an inch of the handle bar sticking out on each side, so I put plugs in the end. I don't know how the shop fitted them exactly, but I presume they must have cut the stem end of the grips off, although I notice that the grips are wrapped around metal tubes which are wrapped around the handle bars. Any ideas on this.

The main thing is though that it's given the bike a totally different feel - much more sport and manouverable - I certainly feel I've got more steering control and it can be thrown around much more easily. I know bar ends do give you a different riding position, but actually I rarely if ever see anyone using them where they are fitted to the end of the handle bars. When did they start become a thing to put on your bike - any views on aspects of their use?

David

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hi, if your grips have a central tube then somewhere there must be a locking screw to hold them in place. If you loosen this you can move the grips out to the end of the bars. Then move the brake / gear levers out as well if you want.
    I quite liked bar ends when i had a Specialized Crossroads, it gives a choice of hand positions when on long rides.
    There are some really nice shaped ones available now which look quite useful.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • OldSeagul
    OldSeagul Posts: 574
    I've got bar ends on the handlebars of my Specialized Sirrus Elite, about three inches either side of the stem. This makes climbing hills rather like riding with narrow dropped bars and it keeps them out of the way.
    The people who turn their swords into ploughshares, generally end up working for the people who kept their swords!
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    I like bar ends on a flat bar, just to give you a differtent hand grip sometimes, and I feel it reduces fatigue.