Bike set up

gunny_bedford
gunny_bedford Posts: 347
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Hi

I am a keen MTB rider, but after deciding to enter my first 12hr MTB enduro race later on this year, decided to purchase a road bike to help me train, and get some miles under me.

Having already got a fairly expensive Trek Fuel EX MTB, i didnt want to spend too much on the road bike, so ended up buying a Carrera Vanquish from Halfords for £449 I am no expert on road bikes, but spec for spec it seemed better than the base models from Trek, Giant etc and for less money.

My problem is getting comfortable whilst riding, having never really used a road bike before, i find the position a bit uncomfortable after 1/2 hour or so, i normally start to get pins and needles in my hands, i guess i am not used to the lower ride position, and having my arms out to my front close together. I have tried to rise the handlebar position, by flipping over the stem so the angle is pointing upwards( i guess you could do this with the unbranded stem on my bike, i know other makes can) and i have also "twisted" the handlebar further up, so that the gear housing ( or what ever you call them!) are further up. I was also thinking about tilting my seat slightly back (though i will have to upgrade the seat post to do that) so that my weight is slightly backwards and not forwards onto my arms ? I have been doing most of my riding gripping onto the gear housing and using that as a "handle" to hold and rest my hands. Is there any other improvements i can make to improve my ride position, or is it a case of riding out the pins and needles in the hope that i get used to the position ?? I have a medium framed bike and am approx 5' 10" tall.

thanks
Neil

Comments

• robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    I read an article recently about bike set-up and it all seems to depend on your flexibility, it went along the lines of you should have your bars set a certain height below your saddle depending on how far you can bend straight-legged. I thnklit was written by Chris Carmicheal, you may fiind the article on the web somewhere.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I think you are talking about the hoods when you are talking gear housing.

Shimano hoods are really really uncomfortable compared to Campagnolo ones.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Mine are not. This sort of comment is not useful Red. For everyone who thinks like you there will be someone who thinks differently. We are not all the same.
    Gunny. From the little info you have given us it is difficult to be much help. If you have a local bike shop that does bike fit I would go and speak to them. Alternately try to speak to an experienced road rider who can look at how you ride and give you some pointers. Also try Googleing 'Bike Fitting' as there are several websites on this. Personal help is better though.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    John.T wrote:
    Mine are not. This sort of comment is not useful Red.

He want's to know why he's getting pins and needles in his hands, pins and needles in my hands are caused by the shimano hoods no such problem with Campag hoods. It holds true that for a lot of people the Shimano hoods are too big
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr