Bike fit and lower back problems.

ac220v
ac220v Posts: 15
edited April 2008 in Commuting chat
Started commuting this week (3.5 mi round trip), did not bike in 10 or so years, bike is supermarket-special "cruiser" (all-EU made though, so frame _probably_ is really hi-ten. )

There's a serious problem, though. Half a year ago I had slipped intervertibral disc. Therapy was quite OK, and I nearly forgot about the thing, but now back&leg pain returned when I do anything _except_ cycling.

I'll consult a doctor of course, but I somehow doubt she's an expert on how exactly to fit bike to prevent this. (I suspect that standard saddle fit+ handlebar raised 4 or so inches to get most upright position is an answer...)
Sorry for any non-English in the post.

Comments

• attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Don't know if this is relevant, but I rode with a rucksack for the first time in ages the other day, it was absolute murder on my back.
    Might be worth considering a bumbag, courier bag, saddle bag or paniers if only to eliminate a potential cause of your discomfort.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • ac220v
    Attica wrote:
    Don't know if this is relevant, but I rode with a rucksack for the first time in ages the other day, it was absolute murder on my back.
    Well, that's not it. :( All I need for work is my PDA, and I don't even normally carry tools/spares on commute. (really short ride+bike shop across the road from the workplace)
  • Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    I just shortened my stem and solved years of backache!
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    I think it'll be a bit of suck it and see.
    I have a back problem, essentially if I ride drop bars then I get a numb leg...long storey I won't go into, but I'm fully aware of the problem.
    After months of messing with spacers then two MTB bars I had in the garage I ended up taking the drops of and riding with flat bars and some spacers. It's really comfortable (for me...not necessarily any one else!) but you'll need to experiment for your own particular back problem.
    good luck mate.
    Jas
    it looks a bit steep to me.....
  • ac220v
    jjojjas wrote:
    I think it'll be a bit of suck it and see.
    but you'll need to experiment for your own particular back problem.
    good luck mate.
    Jas

So, it could be done, at least in principle and if problem isn't too bad and higher handlebars are probably step in a right direction. (Looks like I'd need a new stem for that, though... And all my bike repair budged was spent on replacing damaged bottom bracket. (Not really a bike's fault, despite its unexhalted origin. But that's another topic entirely.) )
  • Mayhemwmb
    Mayhemwmb Posts: 108
    I suffer from back problems, I'm too heavy but losing weight through cycling, better diet & other lifestyle changes, however one thing I was told was to take up swimming, having a physique like Homer Simpson I was a little reluctant, To cut a long story short by swimming I have strengthened my core muscles and now have very little problems with my back. I would recommend it as it is not weight bearing and actually helped me.
  • Over 30 years I've suffered with back pain. I'd go on a ride and get back home and I could barely walk with the pain. I also have a physical job and I was taking 8- 10 painkillers a day on some of my jobs.
    Now.................it's all gone. Tis like a miracle.
    I first saw an ad on 1 of the satellite channels, so I decided to risk it and got one on e-bay.
    Unbelievable...To be pain free is wonderful.
    Here is a similar item:

http://www.evergreentables.co.uk/invers ... MAodCCrWxA
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    It can be remarkable how swapping one component for another makes a difference; I had a few years off bikes, and in the meantime riser bars had become standard for most bikes with off-road pretensions. I (or rather my arms) hated them, at best I couldn't find a comfortable position and at worst everything below my elbows ached. I monkeyed with the geometry as much as I could, but it was only after fitting a flat bar it went away.
  • cupofteacp
    cupofteacp Posts: 578
    When you did you back in, did they give you exercises to strengthen you back afterwards?

You could try using those and carry out the mods to the bike
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I'd suggest making one change at a time, including adding exercises to your regime.

If you make things better with exercises/position change but exacerbate matters with a different change at the same time, you won't notice the improvement.
    Makes finding a solution more time consuming but probably worth it in the long run.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Over 30 years I've suffered with back pain. I'd go on a ride and get back home and I could barely walk with the pain. I also have a physical job and I was taking 8- 10 painkillers a day on some of my jobs.
    Now.................it's all gone. Tis like a miracle.
    I first saw an ad on 1 of the satellite channels, so I decided to risk it and got one on e-bay.
    Unbelievable...To be pain free is wonderful.
    Here is a similar item:

http://www.evergreentables.co.uk/invers ... MAodCCrWxA

They are really handy, whenever my back plays up I spend some time hanging upside down, sorts it out in no time.
  • ac220v
    cupofteacp wrote:
    When you did you back in, did they give you exercises to strengthen you back afterwards?

You could try using those and carry out the mods to the bike
    Yes, they did, (and they all recommended swimming. The only problem is I'm probably worst swimmer EVER and would need months of practice just to not to drown :lol: ... )

2 Attica, - definitely so.

As for that table thing, - looks interesting...