4/5/6" suspension

Belv
Belv Posts: 866
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
Is there much difference for mainly XC use between these or is it only when taking the big drops that you need 5/6"?

Had almost decided on a 5" bike for all day XC use, then saw a better specced 4" for only a few quid more and now it's all up in the air again (no pun intended!). To be honest, i can't imagine learning to fly at my age but there seems to be a trend towards longer travel suspension for all day use.

:?:

Comments

• dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    what are the bikes?
    and i'd go for 5" for all day really.
    depends on what you ride? trail centres? canal paths?
  • Belv
    edited April 2008
    2007 Kona Dawg - 5"
    2007 Kona King Kikapu - 4"

Both on sale within £30 of each other. The Dawg is designed for all day, but the bike radar review says (of a lower spec Kikapu model) not to discount it as an all day bike because Kona overstate its race credentials.

I think i'm just making it too important in my head, but (even at the sale price) this bike is going to cost more than everyother one i've bought in my life put together!

Mainly ride my local woods, but expanding my horizons this year to include some trail centres - Cwmcarn next month, Thetford later in the year, Epping Forest, Swinley, etc
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Go for 5" for Trail centres !
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    5" for sure, 2007 dawg is pretty solid, house mate has one, though dawg is a heavy bike for what it is
  • Belv
    It's the one i'd prefer, but with a few XT bits, the RP2 shock and Tora Air forks, the other one looked like it would probably out-perform the old Dawg even with an inch less travel. Thanks for your expert opinions.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try them out. People ride trail centres on rigid bikes, so you be just fine with a lighter 4 inch bike.
  • Belv
    I've done car park tryouts of three bikes over the last 6 weeks, but that has only let me establish a comfortable size. The surfaces weren't bad enough to test the quality of suspension!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    suspension quality between the two kona isnt much, though i do not like the fork on the 07 kona feel way flexy on trails,

its weight, and the Dawg is a bit (pot bellied) porky. not hugely so but enough, my stumpy fsr for the same price is 3-4 pounds lighter!