had first serious run today

just 25 miles,

what advice on pedals?

just plain metal pedals just now

bike is scott speedster

Comments

• feel
    feel Posts: 800
    depends on what you feel comfortable with and whether you want to be able to walk when you get off your bike or fancy just training/racing
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • jed1978
    jed1978 Posts: 87
    any advice on good toe clips
  • feel
    these are cheap and useful if you don't want to immediately go down the clipless route THESE

There are 2 types of clipless pedal/shoes, ones you can get off and walk about in and ones you can't.
  • feel
    THESE are also quite a good idea as you do not have to buy the proper shoes immediately as they can be used with ordinary trainers.
    If you hunt about you can get them much cheaper than Evans
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    I have those plastic ones that just bolt on to the front of the pedal. They stop your feet from sliding off the pedal. They are easy to get in and out of, which means you never ever fall over. They are cheap!!!!

I don't see the necessity for an average guy like me to have the bike clamped to his feet, I never have a the necessity to pull up on the pedals. I know I am in the minority, but a lot of people do it because it is the fashion and they like buying "the gear", some people even have them for static exercise bikes in a gym?????

Anyway, you can make your own decision, as I say I am in the minority.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    hodsgod wrote:
    I don't see the necessity for an average guy like me to have the bike clamped to his feet, I never have a the necessity to pull up on the pedals. I know I am in the minority, but a lot of people do it because it is the fashion and they like buying "the gear", some people even have them for static exercise bikes in a gym?????.

That's a good point - Toe clips and straps certainly can provide a substantial inprovement in foot security relative to ordinary pedals.

One way of using clips and straps is to have the strap "loose" enough (and shaped well) to get your feet in and out easily - IMHO, this setup still provides a considerable improvement over ordinary pedals - you get the clip enclosure which gives you security at the front, and the strap which you can still feel snugly around your shoe (without being tight or dangerous when stopping).
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    I would only recommend clipless. I could never get on with toe clipped with straps. I just kept falling sideways. SPD's are best for walking and are a good introduction. You can get single or double sided ones. I use Shimano single sided on my fixed so if I'm popping to the shops, it's trainers.
    My road bikes are now Look Keos. I chose the shoe carefully as to minimize the walking problem [specialized had good heels and get rubber tipped cleats]

Some swear by clipped/straps but, you pays your money, you makes your choice!
    That's my tuppence worth.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    I tried SPD pedals when I first started cycling and hated them, when I first got my road bike I put hybrid pedals on as thats what I felt safest using, after a short time I decided to put the original road bike pedals on with toe clips and straps, and slowly got used to the pedl spin to get the foot in etc, those eventually broke, so I put one of the old spd pedals on the right and had clip and strap on the left for a while as when I come to a stop I tend to lean to the left and keep my right foot on the pedal anyway... Ive only just decided to go for the spds on both sides and get used to unclipping that left foot...

I like the ease of taking the foot of the pedal with cips and straps, if they are set up right its nice and easy, but I do like the "solid" feel when pedalling of the spd pedals, still not convinced that they would be great in an emergency, but they do feel nicer to pedal with...
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    If you are new to cycling, bite the bullet. Go for clipless pedals. There would seem to be little point in learning how to use toe clips, then having to learn clipless pedals afterwards.
    To use toe clips properly they need to be on tightly, and they are then harder to get out of than clipless.
    I use Look pedals and swear by them. When I first went clipless, I swore at them, because I had the inevitable clipless moments.
    Once you get used to clipless, you won't want to go back. Your pedalling is more comfortable and far more powerful for a given effort. You will find clipless far easier to escape from than properly tightened toeclips.
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    Nickwill wrote:
    Your pedalling is more comfortable and far more powerful for a given effort. You will find clipless far easier to escape from than properly tightened toeclips.

Is that true? feel clamped to the pedals are more comfortable? I just don't see it. As I understand it, the cleats must be adjusted acurately to stop causing discomfort. Where is the "more poweful for the given effort"? how does that happen?

I have been biking for many years and never felt the necessity to buy clipless yet. I have thought about it many times. I am still undecided whether they are really any use for the average rider, or are just a must have gadget, which makes our hobby so interesting :-)

As I said before I have plastic cages for £3 on the front of my pedals. They work great and you never ever fall off.
  • nickwill
    hodsgod wrote:
    Is that true? feel clamped to the pedals are more comfortable? I just don't see it. As I understand it, the cleats must be adjusted acurately to stop causing discomfort. Where is the "more poweful for the given effort"? how does that happen?

I have been biking for many years and never felt the necessity to buy clipless yet. I have thought about it many times. I am still undecided whether they are really any use for the average rider, or are just a must have gadget, which makes our hobby so interesting :-)

As I said before I have plastic cages for £3 on the front of my pedals. They work great and you never ever fall off.

If you are clipped in you are 'part of the machine', more of your effort goes into turning the pedals. Without clips of any sort your only input is when pressing down on the pedals. You will not be pedalling in 'circles'. I think that you would notice the biggest difference when climbing. Your plastic cages will give you a fraction of the benefit of either clipless pedals or toeclips and straps. Clipless pedals give you more of the mechanical benefits and (once you are used to them), are easier to clip in and out of than properly adjusted (ie tight) toe clips.
    They are definitely not a gimmick. I have friends who tend towards the luddite persuasion in all other respects, but who would never go for a bike ride without clipless pedals. You will only realise what a difference they make once you use them.
  • feel
    hodsgod wrote:
    [

Is that true? feel clamped to the pedals are more comfortable? I just don't see it. As I understand it, the cleats must be adjusted acurately to stop causing discomfort. Where is the "more poweful for the given effort"? how does that happen?.

Having a very rigid shoe clamped to a rigid pedal is more efficient as there will be less energy wasted. If you are wearing trainers with a normal soft sole everytime you push down some of the energy that could go to your wheel is being lost to the squeezing/compression of the sole. This is why racing shoes are so rigid and so impossible to walk in (even forgeting about the cleat). Whether you are prepared to compromise your feeling of safety for being a few yards further down the road is up to you. Personally i find rigid mtb shoes and spd cleats a good compromise between efficiency and being able to walk about when you get somewhere. I have never had knee problems but whether that is just good luck i don't know and it does feel secure. The only doubts i have is on mega steep hills where i wonder what will happen if i grind to a halt :oops: and in heavy traffic if i have to do an emergency stop. If i know i am about to stop i unclip with my left foot well in advance . The big problem is then if you accidentally clip in without realising :shock:
  • hodsgod wrote:
    I don't see the necessity for an average guy like me to have the bike clamped to his feet, I never have a the necessity to pull up on the pedals. I know I am in the minority, but a lot of people do it because it is the fashion and they like buying "the gear", some people even have them for static exercise bikes in a gym?????

At least you're not in a minority of 1 :)

I use old-fashioned toe-straps -- I've used them for more than 30 years, and nobody has yet convinced me to change. Moreover, I cycle in regular training shoes -- stiffed soled, but not so much so that I can't walk.

Although I mostly cycle for fun rather than transport, I do rather like the freedom to ride my bike to the shops/pub/train without taking a change of footwear. In an ideal world I'd have different bikes for different jobs; but I can't afford that, so I need a bike that can do whatever I need it to do.

FWIW I have the straps just tight enough that I can yank my foot out if I have to. That's not tight enough for optimal efficiency, to be sure, but I'm getting to an age where falling off my bike sideways hurts.

No doubt if I was racing, or aspiring to race, my considerations would be different.
  • nickwill
    hodsgod wrote:

At least you're not in a minority of 1 :)

I use old-fashioned toe-straps -- I've used them for more than 30 years, and nobody has yet convinced me to change. Moreover, I cycle in regular training shoes -- stiffed soled, but not so much so that I can't walk.

Although I mostly cycle for fun rather than transport, I do rather like the freedom to ride my bike to the shops/pub/train without taking a change of footwear. In an ideal world I'd have different bikes for different jobs; but I can't afford that, so I need a bike that can do whatever I need it to do.

FWIW I have the straps just tight enough that I can yank my foot out if I have to. That's not tight enough for optimal efficiency, to be sure, but I'm getting to an age where falling off my bike sideways hurts.

No doubt if I was racing, or aspiring to race, my considerations would be different.

Why are you more likely to fall off if you are using clipless pedals? After your first couple of rides it isn't an issue. If I am nipping to the shops, I'm quite happy to use my Look Keos without cycling shoes. Their platform is more than wide enough for occasional use with ordinary shoes.
  • Nickwill wrote:
    Why are you more likely to fall off if you are using clipless pedals? After your first couple of rides it isn't an issue. If I am nipping to the shops, I'm quite happy to use my Look Keos without cycling shoes. Their platform is more than wide enough for occasional use with ordinary shoes.

I never said you were more likely to fall off with clipless pedals. I suspect that, with sufficient experience, the opposite is the case.

Instead I said that, if you use toe-straps, you're more likely to fall off if you tighten the straps enough to give optimal effectiveness than if you have them slightly loose.

But, even despite that, I prefer toe-straps to cleats.

What I can't do (and I appreciate this is a personal thing) is cycle on pedals designed for cleats without the proper shoes -- even to the shops. It just feels really horrible.
  • nickwill
    Sorry Crooked Cucumber, I was guilty of replying too hastily, without reading your reply properly! :oops:
  • BernieG
    BernieG Posts: 27
    Speaking of clipless moments....I was out and about on Sunday morning and I went to put my water bottle back in its cage but somehow (lack of concentration) managed to miss and my water bottle scooted off across the road. Forgetting I was clipped in I stopped and gently toppled sideways (fortunately on to a nice soft verge). However, an old dear pulled up in her Nissan micra, wound the window down and said "Are you alright ...?" Nice of her to stop , really.
    I could only reply "I'm fine" in an embarrassed whisper :oops: :oops:

Anyway , the moral of the story is ...clipless are great but make sure you remember what you are doing !
  • Lycra Man
    Lycra Man Posts: 141
    My vote is SPDs every time.

I got back into cycling about 4 years ago, and my first proper bike (a Ridgeback Meteor flat bar road bike) came with toe clips and straps. I liked them for a while, but was recommended SPDs by friends and my brother. I resisted, thinking I would be 'locked in' and would fall over, embarrassingly.

When I eventiually tried SPDs I found they gave MUCH MUCH better relocation of the foot to pedal, especially when starting off uphill. Yes, I had a fall or two in front of other road users, but only hurt my pride.

Recently I bought an interim bike, and re-fitted the old toe clips and straps, and hated them.

So I have experience of both, and recomend SPDs. (My shoes are Shimano trainers, with inset cleats, and very comfortable for walking, and 90% efficient for pedalling.)

Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6