cassettes question

Dougizzle
Dougizzle Posts: 133
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
hey, would it be possible to take the cassette off of a DH and replace it with one that would usually be used on a MTB. will it be alot more complicated than just swithing the two over?
Basicly i want a DH bike but with the same kind of gear ratio as a MTB
Do it if you dare
Leaping from the sky
Hurling through the air
Exhilarating high
See the earth below
Soon to make a crater

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they are the same thing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Dougizzle
    so the 18 or so gears on a DH bike will be the same as the top 18 gears on a MTB?
    Do it if you dare
    Leaping from the sky
    Hurling through the air
    Exhilarating high
    See the earth below
    Soon to make a crater
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well there are two types of cassette close range and wide range. commonly known as road cassettes and MTB cassettes,
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Dougizzle
    With my old bike the raliegh mtrax fsv when i look at specs it just says 24 gears, nothing about cassettes and im guessing a DH bike wouldn't have a road cassette on but i could be completely wrong. :P basicly what i would like to know is that if i can get up a hill on my MTB on gears that are on the 2 of the 3 crankset rings would it require the same amount of effort to get up the hill on a DH bike on one of the 2 crankset rings ( the gears are the same, but just the DH is lacking a few)

Hopefully this makes sence :D
    Do it if you dare
    Leaping from the sky
    Hurling through the air
    Exhilarating high
    See the earth below
    Soon to make a crater
  • minimole
    minimole Posts: 2,185
    DH bikes use road cassettes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just compare all the gear ratios of what you have, and what you want. Simple.
  • gary_fisher3
    gary_fisher3 Posts: 3,466
    I suggest you go and actually look at a DH bike.

I'm sure you'll change your mind about wanting to ride it up hill