crazy ebay prices for used componants

peanut
peanut Posts: 1,373
edited April 2008 in Campaign
What is going on ? am I missing something ? I have noticed that many folk are bidding and paying more for used stuff than the cost new in the shops ???? what is that all about.

Take this Dura Ace 10 spd rear mech for instance 180232784772
Its already at £30+ with 2x hours to go and a brand new boxed one is only £31.00 at Ribble. If you spend £50.00 P&P is free and you get 10% discount.

Doesn't anyone check the prices before bidding ?

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    People always think they're getting a bargain.

Before Christmas, saw a Decathlon kids road bike go for about £285 - I'd bought one the week before from the store in the sale for £33!!!
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Dr Nosh
    Dr Nosh Posts: 43
    I think tere is an element of cheating going on - getting friends to bid for each others stuff therby pushing the price up - I know a couple who do this, and another that bids on his own stuff under another name.

I recently bid on an item that I wanted, and strangely the higher bid was always exactly £1 more than my bid, even down to the odd pence of my bid. So I gave up at my imposed max value for the item.
    Then next day I bid on another exact item from another seller, and paid £20 less and £2 less postage than the previous item went for.

Got the bargin that I wanted.
    Republic of Lithuania
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    Dr Nosh wrote:
    I think tere is an element of cheating going on - getting friends to bid for each others stuff therby pushing the price up - I know a couple who do this, and another that bids on his own stuff under another name.

I recently bid on an item that I wanted, and strangely the higher bid was always exactly £1 more than my bid, even down to the odd pence of my bid. So I gave up at my imposed max value for the item.
    Then next day I bid on another exact item from another seller, and paid £20 less and £2 less postage than the previous item went for.

Got the bargin that I wanted.

This is a very common practice on eBay and I wouldn't be surprised if eBay turn a blind eye. As the vast majority of items are paid for via PayPal and I believe I am right saying that PayPal is owned by eBay then the increased bids will mean higher PayPal fees being charged.
    exercise.png
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    peanut wrote:
    What is going on ? am I missing something ?

you're definately missing the E in components! :P
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Some people don't check prices, some don't even check the spec carefully, I'd say, and think they're bidding on something that they aren't!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • allaction
    allaction Posts: 209
    You can get bargains on there but I too was amazed at how much some stuff goes for. I built a bike up last year and bought all the parts off ebay, but you have to pick and choose what and from whom you buy to get the good deals.
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    heres another example . A mavic shimano freehub just sold for a stupid £31.00 !!! you can buy a complete brand new Mavic rear wheel for that including the freehub. :shock:

I think Dr Nosh has the right answer here.Most of these sales now are private. You cannot see who is driving the bidding up. Its so easy to get a friend to bid something up or just use a second third ebay acount. All you need is another email address .

People are so dumb . They keep bidding way beyond the realistic market value because they won't allow themselves to be beaten.? :roll:
    As you say ebay don't care about fraud because they win everytime. They get the sale and re-listing fees so why should they ! :wink:
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    But even if you've got either a second account, or using a mate to bid the price up, some numpty is still putting in a bid that'd more than the item's worth!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Dr Nosh wrote:

I think you need to understand how the bidding on ebay works as this sounds quite normal, the person you are bidding against has obviously put in a higher max bid than you and each time you enter a new amount that person's higher max is still higher than your bid so ebay automatically outbids you and will keep doing so until you enter more than the other person's max bid. As for the exactly a £1 higher even down to the pence if they have put in a max bid of £50 for an item and you bid £21.21 then ebay will bid again on the other person's behalf at whatever the minimum higher bid will be (which I believe on items less than £100 is £1 at a time) so the next bid will be £22.21, if you then bid £26.57 ebay will then outbid you with a bid of £27.57 and will continue to do this until you outbid the person who had put in the £50 max bid.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'