10 speed cassette coming off, 9 speed going on....

Barça
Barça Posts: 175
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
is it doable? I'm guessing that it will as the cassette overall is the same width but the individual cogs are slimmer (hence 9 and 10 speed chains) but I could have made that bit up.
Is it as simple as taking the 10 speed off ans putting my 9 speed on? I can't afford to change my drive chain and shifters over to 10 speed although I'd love to.

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    The cassette must match the shifters. Both either 10sp 0r 9sp.
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    I think the answre is "probably" - the Shimano 10 cassette is itself slightly narrower than the 9 cassette, so some more recent hubs (e.g DT 190's) are supposedly 10 speed only.
  • Barça
    Barça Posts: 175
    Thanks for the replies. Just to make the situation a little clearer, my shifters etc are 9 speed, the cassette that I want to put on the wheel is 9 speed BUT the cassette that is on there at the moment is 10 speed. I suppose I'm asking, is the freehub 10 speed specific or is it the same for 9 as it is for 10 speed?
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    No problem. The only wheels that you can not fit this to are some Dura-ace ones which have higher profile splines. The 9sp cassette will go straight on. Make sure you remove the thin spacer that is behind the 10sp cassette.