am i doing the right thing??

robbie7
robbie7 Posts: 292
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
hi there,
i have been mountain biking for the last year or so but i am losing the passion of getting out to ride off road as there is so much maintence involved and i getting filthy every ride is a pain in the bum in the short time i have to ride in the evenings. i really think that the change will help. what do you think?

Comments

• iga
    iga Posts: 155
    Well, only you can answer this question. I'd suggest trying to borrow a road bike for a few weeks and see what you think.
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Get a road bike and make it part of your life, suddenly your work commute becomes a part of your hobby, a trip to the shops, running into town, all part of the hobby :D. If youve not tried a road bike youd be in for a pleasant surprise with speed and efficiency of a road bike :D
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    DavidTQ wrote:
    Get a road bike and make it part of your life, suddenly your work commute becomes a part of your hobby, a trip to the shops, running into town, all part of the hobby :D. If youve not tried a road bike youd be in for a pleasant surprise with speed and efficiency of a road bike :D

And, the thing that surprised me the most, MUCH tighter handling when compared to a MTB.

I thought that the handling would be tighter on the MTB due to the smaller wheels, and the need for tight steering for the technical bits, but I was very much surprised that my road bike can handle much tighter turns than I could ever manage on the MTB.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Except for the jetwashing after every ride, how much 'less' maintenance are you expecting to have to do on a road bike?

Is the cleaning of the bike and you getting muddy the problem?
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • dboden
    dboden Posts: 349
    Go for it mate. I have just done the same, and its great. I put it down as just another option. Sometimes mtb sometimes road. One thing I would reccomend (can anyone out there back me up), as a newbie to road, I think it benefits more on road if you have someone to go out with. Being used to off road, it may seem a little more boring, unless you have a bit of company or competition. Keep us posted.
  • robbie7
    robbie7 Posts: 292
    sound advice dboden, will bear in mind have first got to sell my mtb for the new ride. lol cheers
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    robbie7 wrote:
    sound advice dboden, will bear in mind have first got to sell my mtb for the new ride. lol cheers

Why not fit road tyres to the MTB, get out & try a bit of road work first?
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I put road tyres on my MTB, still too slow for the road, but better.

Then had to change back to go off road and back again etc

I ended up with a road bike and a MTB and I can ride either depending on how I feel and were I'm going.

You can use the road bike in the week and MTB at weekends when time iand mud are not an issue because you go further.

So, my advice is to try and have both.

Having your cake and eating it is a possibility!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Stop mucking about on silly mountain bikes and get yourself a decent road bike. Only then will you discover the joys of true cycling.
  • chronyx
    chronyx Posts: 455
    That's what I did. :lol:

Had a lovely ride today first time for a while I've been out, didn't realise I missed it so much!
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport - 'Red Rocket'