shimano or campagnolo ?

2»

Comments

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    lilactime wrote:
    thanks for all your advice , none the wiser , think i will get a chopper , oh what groupset do they have ?

:lol: lovin' the comeback!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Adamskii wrote:
    Shimano is very competent don't get me wrong but I don't get that 'special' feeling when I ride it.
    A 'special' feeling, eh. Is it something that should not be divulged on a family-friendly website? Hmmm.

In my ignorance I bought a Giant with Shimano. Since then, and reading several threads here, I've learnt that I will be for ever inferior due to the name on my groupset. I feel so ashamed, I nearly topped myself last week as it was all getting too much for me.

Then I found God. No, I didn't (he probably rides Campagnolo when he's not on his Ducati). I realised that riders like Bradley Wiggins, Roger Hammond and Cav all ride Giants with Shimano. They're all considerably faster riders than any of the high priests of the Church of Campagnolo on here, so I'd surely be OK. And researching this a bit further even women are allowed to ride Shimano - Emma Pooley's S-Works Ruby has an Ultegra rear mech. It's not even Dura-Ace! And she's faster than you religious C-word types too.

The above is part in jest, but it did occur to me that Shimano is surely a perfectly good groupset, aluminium is entirely satisfactory material to make bicycle frames from and choice of chainset is just not that important and can be changed. I don't need Italian finesse* to enjoy my bike. If others scoff at my humble Tiagra kit they're the one with the problem.

* I associate this with rusting, terminally unreliable cars and motorcycles, and Lazy Luigi's 'Friday afternoon' attitude. Give me everyday Japanese reliability and design sense any day.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    You just wait till your time comes and you are sent away from the Pearly Gates to burn in Hell, while you watch us Campag users stroll off to Paradise surrounded by our 72 virgins.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    You just wait till your time comes and you are sent away from the Pearly Gates to burn in Hell, while you watch us Campag users stroll off to Paradise surrounded by our 72 virgins.
    I've heard hell isn't anywhere near as bad as the god-botherers make out. 24-hour rock music (though we'd have to listen to some of it backwards to get the message), all the drugs you'd need...

And I'd get to ride with (or a long way behind) Brad and the boys while you lot stay indoors worrying about the weight of your cleats.

I wouldn't know what to do with 72 virgins anyway. A couple of really bad girls would be much more interesting, I reckon ;)
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • lilactime
    lilactime Posts: 86
    Simon E wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    I've heard hell isn't anywhere near as bad as the god-botherers make out. 24-hour rock music (though we'd have to listen to some of it backwards to get the message), all the drugs you'd need...

And I'd get to ride with (or a long way behind) Brad and the boys while you lot stay indoors worrying about the weight of your cleats.

I wouldn't know what to do with 72 virgins anyway. A couple of really bad girls would be much more interesting, I reckon ;)
    i prefer the mouses earole to the hippopotamouses earole
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,470
    Campag levers have those really tactile little round thingies just behind the shift buttons, which are well known to be modeled after Sophia Loren's nipples. The Shimano equivalent is those big lumps at the front of the levers, modeled after Emperor Hirohito's kneecaps. Which would you rather fondle? :twisted:
  • Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    Campagnolo is best, why bother asking!
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    lilactime wrote:
    whats the best ?

It doesn't matter ... honestly.

Oh, Sturmey Archer's good ...