Hey guys, newbie here. Quick saddle question.

frayz
frayz Posts: 40
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
Hey chaps,

Ive just purchased my first new bike since i was 13 lol. Im using it for just casual rides with the girlfriend and then trails and tracks with my mates.

Its a 17" Scott Scale 50 2008 model. Im really really pleased with it. However i find the saddle quite hard and it makes my arse ache after a while.

Is this normal as i havent ridden for years?

Will the saddle bed in?

Can you guys point me in the direction of a comfy saddle or is it something i need to try or what?

Id like a white one, similar to the OEM one.

Heres a few pics of my bike... just 24hours old :D

Should hopefully help me get some much needed exercise lol

Scottday125edit.jpg

Scottday175edit.jpg

Scottday165edit.jpg

Scottday134edit.jpg

Scottday198edit.jpg

Scottday179edit.jpg

Scottday158edit.jpg

Scottday145edit.jpg

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They do tend to bed in and loosen up a bit. And you get used to them! try it for a bit longer, and if it still causes grief, think then of changing it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not having ridden for a number of years will have a factor as well. arse and saddle need to get friendly.

oh you do have some padded shorts don't you.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jeffers696
    jeffers696 Posts: 328
    ye padded shorts make a bike so mutch nicer
    Specailized Enduro 08 - Beast
    OnOne 456
  • frayz
    Sorry lads, no padded shorts. Any recomendations?
  • nicklouse
    TBH any padded lycra shorts. Worn under baggies if so inclined :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • it's easier and less hassle to bed your ass in than it is to bed the saddle in. for casual riding with g/f you don't really want to be in padded lycra. just keep riding and remember when your ass aches, the best way of dealing with it is to keep seated and keep pedeleing, don't be tempted to get out of saddle or shift about to ease the pain, let your mussles acustomise themselves.

oh, and I like the bike by the way, very sexy
    Train hard, ride easy
  • p.s your saddle angle is a bit steep too. you really need it to be a lot more horizontal, they're designed to be ergonomicly friendly to the perenium to stop prostate problems.
    Train hard, ride easy
  • nicklouse
    p.s your saddle angle is a bit steep too. you really need it to be a lot more horizontal, they're designed to be ergonomicly friendly to the perenium to stop prostate problems.
    and when the fork compresses?
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    agree with the major on the saddle angle i think you'll be better off with it a little more level, disagree about staying in the saddle. i think when it hurts get out of the saddle and stand up and pedal in a higher gear, you'll be building strength and working different muscles and not only letting pressure on your rear off but also giving your glute? muscles a bit of a break, as a newbie i found most pain was from both my un-trained asre muscles and saddle pressure.

get some padded shorts, new saddle or not i reckon.

£11 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... r%20Shorts
    bound to be better than nothing as it's a coolmax pad like the endura below i think?

£27 pretty good short, the pad is ok but over time will compress a bit.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=9331

£50 really nice shorts and very comfy elastic tech pad from www.chamoises.com
    http://www.thegorestore.co.uk/power-tig ... -1603.html

great photos btw! :)
    nifty fifty?
  • frayz
    Cheers guys, i'll level the saddle up a bit and see how i go. That was how it came from the shop, so thats where it stayed.

I'll stick with the current saddle for a while and see how i get one. However can you recomend and good saddles that are particularly comfy or is it all a personal choices kinda thing?

How do i know whats right?

Sorry for all the cak questions lol.
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... m%20Saddle
    Fizik Gobi Get good reveiws and they do a white one ????
    I use i Charge Spoon ti Cheeper that the Gobi and allso get good reveiws but with sadles its a personal choice thing as everyones arse if different (so i'm told :o )???
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Manufacturer.as ... erformance
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Nice bike !! Stick with it and it will soften up a bit,I tend to dip the nose of the saddle a bit but thats personal preference.Padded shorts make a huge difference and once your 15 minutes into a ride you forget your wearing them.

For a comfy saddle try a Charge Spoon,looks great too and its onlt £20 from Wiggle !!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... l%20Saddle
  • scrat
    scrat Posts: 25
    How are you finding the brakes? :?:
  • frayz
    scrat wrote:
    How are you finding the brakes? :?:

Well seeing as ive only used them for a few miles its hard to say. They seem to get better with use. However id like a little less lever travel if im honest.

My old bike had V's which gave a real "on/off" kind of feel. A feel of which i actually prefered. However these are much more progressive and give you much better modulation of the braking force. Also my first set of discs on a bike.

Theyre quite nicely made and seem to work well. However, as said the bike is only a few days old so maybe im best to comment once theyre run in a little better.

Any particular reason you ask?
  • scrat
    scrat Posts: 25
    I was looking at a bike with the same brakes and was wondering if I should pay extra for the Formula ORO K24. Just worried about stopping power in the wet.
  • frayz
    Like i said mate, i havent expreienced mine in the wet but they feel plenty strong enough at the moment.

The Avid juicy 3.5's are fitted to bikes priced well above mine, i cant see them being poor to be honest.

They would have no problems chucking me over the bars if i wanted them too lol :)