My commute

BUICK
BUICK Posts: 362
edited April 2008 in Commuting chat
I REALLY enjoy my ride to and from work. Gets me in good spirits for my workday and relaxes me at the end of it all. Usually I find that there will be some small incident during the 12 miles, like a car crossing the cycle lane without indicating, but I'm watchful and generally don't get would up - I expect a certain amount of idiocy. Likewise, most days there will be a mix of cyclists who give you a smile, or a cautious nod, a scowl or ignore you as they ride in the other direction. That's human nature - so I don't let it get to me too much. Yesterday though, I had a guy in a van swerve towards me and shout VERY aggressively to 'GET OFF THE F***ING ROAD YOU D**K!'. Less than a minute later I caught up with him as he got snarled in traffic. I pulled up next to him and looked in the (now wound up) window, and he covered his face while I enquired as to whether he had anything else he'd like to say to me (I'm heavily tattooed and have a pretty good 'cross' face). I didn't see him again after that. 5 minutes or so later I stopped at some lights and another cyclist pulled up behind me. As we were stopped there I turned and said 'Hey, how'sit going?' or something similar - and from about two feet away, he blanked me. Was looking at me while I spoke, then just turned away and ignored me! He then overtook me as we got around the corner aggressively enough that his foot came off the pedals as he jerked about before metres later slowing again (presumably because he couldn't keep up the pace) to slower than I was travelling.

Really. Some people! :shock:

Bright side: I just can't stay angry about these things anymore - and I think a lot of that is because of cycling. My temperament seems to have become more positive the more I get out on the bike.
'07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
'07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Crazy isn't it - I do let on to others with a 'morning' as I pass - and 99.9% of the time get a cheery response - they are some times a little startled that someone is talking, but they always reply - usually the same folk !!
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    He might have been 'getting in the mood' for work, driving a white van...?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,599
    People like this are put on earth to amuse us, as long as you can find it funny, there purpose is not in vain.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    I drove a white van while moving house - a big Citroen diesel. I was nervous at first because it was so big and it took time to get used to the layout, but what surprised me was that I really enjoyed it and felt HAPPY driving my big white van. I didn't want to give it back in the end! I could see further up the road because of the height of it, and it had great big mirrors that meant I was easily able to keep track of what was going on around me. Despite the vans size it was manouevreable and pretty sprightly considering it's size. Frankly it put a smile on my face and made me MORE inclined towards good road manners because it was enjoyable to drive and easier to be aware.
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • GEPC
    GEPC Posts: 123
    It ammuses me to hear when idiots in white vans are happy to throw the insults when they are felling all safe in their metal bexes but when you catch up with them and they realise that the person they abused might actually be a big angry looking fella who is now keen to discuss the matter futher. Good work mate.

I will also have to start smiling at more of my fellow cyclists. My cycle commute is often one of the highlights of the day so I am really enjoying it but perhaps I could show it a bit more!
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    BUICK wrote:
    I drove a white van while moving house - a big Citroen diesel. I was nervous at first because it was so big and it took time to get used to the layout, but what surprised me was that I really enjoyed it and felt HAPPY driving my big white van. I didn't want to give it back in the end! I could see further up the road because of the height of it, and it had great big mirrors that meant I was easily able to keep track of what was going on around me. Despite the vans size it was manouevreable and pretty sprightly considering it's size. Frankly it put a smile on my face and made me MORE inclined towards good road manners because it was enjoyable to drive and easier to be aware.

It's great, you can hoot your horn at girls with short skirts & everything
    <a>road</a>
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Seconded, Buick!!!
  • karl j
    karl j Posts: 517
    Thirded'd, Buick

for me you've summed it up very well with the "I expect a certain amount of idiocy"
    Morning route (when i don't get the train)

Evening route ,