Overtraining?

Dazzza
Dazzza Posts: 2,364
edited April 2008 in Health, fitness & training
Right then, i had a hard 28 miler on sunday, then come monday i had another hard ride about 1h30m now i feel like crap, my neck is swollen and i have a sore throat/headache.

I take it this is from overtraining, i don't feel particulary exhausted but my body is kind of telling me to bugger off on this ride id like to do tonight.

Cheers
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
Giant Anthem X

Comments

• miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Blimey - i'd be in a much worse state if I had done all that :shock:

Maybe you're going down with a bug and that's why you feel rubbish? Most of my office is off with some sort of flu / sickness thing at the moment (sorry!).
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm not sure if you can overtrain youself in two days but you can damn sure exhaust
    yourself. Overtraining usually comes from riding to hard to often over a period of
    weeks or even months. You know, racing around with your buddies and just plain
    hammering yourself on a daily basis. But I've got to train hard you say. Well, you're
    right but there is only so much intense exersize and stress that your body can recover from and finding that fine line between improving and burnout is not an easy thing to do.
    If you're a normal working stiff like the rest of us you can't train like the pros. You don't
    have the time. However if all you have to do in life is eat, sleep, ride, repeat. Then you're
    well on your way.

Dennis Noward
  • jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    just be a bug i would imagine, rest up for a week and then build it up again
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • Dazzza
    Well seems im fine now for the most part, i fell asleep not long after i posted this thread, not intentionally either!! :?

Thanks for the advice everyone especially dennis, you are probably right but i have read somewhere that trying to overreach can be the best method as it really pushes your body to recover.

I didn't have much choice tbh normally id have at least a day or two of rest but this extra day of rest has done me good, that and the chocolate pro xs protein bar ive just thrown down my neck, yum!!!

Catch you on the trails. ;)

jmeadows, what part of aintree are you from, i know someone on heswall road so used to be there quite frequently.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • dennisn
    Dazzza wrote:
    Well seems im fine now for the most part, i fell asleep not long after i posted this thread, not intentionally either!! :?

Thanks for the advice everyone especially dennis, you are probably right but i have read somewhere that trying to overreach can be the best method as it really pushes your body to recover.

I didn't have much choice tbh normally id have at least a day or two of rest but this extra day of rest has done me good, that and the chocolate pro xs protein bar ive just thrown down my neck, yum!!!

jmeadows, what part of aintree are you from, i know someone on heswall road so used to be there quite frequently.

There is an old saying that says it all. "Rest harder than you train". Not a clue who said it.

Dennis Noward
  • Dazz, defo a bug matey! although i did have a minor concern over the amount youve been riding in the past couple of weeks but i think its paid off on your riding as it seems to have jumped up a level for sure!

i picked up a bug of on eof th e mums at the toddl;er group yesterday who's husbamd bought it home from school! there is a lot of it about just now! chances are your body reacted a little worse than normal due to it repairing itself at the same time!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • jmeadows
    dazza- not far from the blue anchor 'public house', the local watering hole :wink:
  • dennisn
    Dazzza wrote:

I will agree that trying to "overreach", or really training hard, if that's what you're trying
    to say, really is important. However, it is not something you can do on a daily basis. One
    of the hardest things for cyclists to learn is how to train BOTH harder and easier. It is
    very easy to get caught up in daily "hammerfests" or "impromptu racing" with fellow riders.
    This daily pounding generally will not help you improve much and usually leads to the
    dreaded burnout or overtraining. Happens to everybody once in a while. If you're serious
    about training and racing there are plenty of books out there that can tell you how to set
    up training schedules that will help you get better. Listen to what these people have to say, do your racing at the races, RESIST the temptation to go out and go as hard as you can everyday, and get serious about resting/sleeping/nutrition. Then you should get better.

Dennis Noward
  • Dazzza
    Thanks dennis, it might be a slight bug and not a full blown one that caught me at my most vulnerable, i still have the swollen neck but im feeling a sight better for it now, i did think it was just me being knackered though.

I might as well nip out tonight and take it steady, there's nothing but rain for the next few days from what ive seen though met office are hit and miss at the best of times.

jmeadows, i was at the end of warbreck road so not that far off just the opposite end of the racecourse, bet it was a nightmare when grand national was on. ;)

Timmo, again your probably right, im still debating about nipping out for a quick blast, i think i will as it's looking at least 4 days of rain.
    Giant Anthem X
  • Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    Dazza - a mate of mine overtrained and got really ill.
    I used to train with him (for SLSC events) and he was a complete training psyco.

It took about six months of the looniest training ever to make him ill though but he was out of it for at least a month.

You should be okay - might have just lowered your defenses a little bit.
    This wind is a pain - ruining all the surf!
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • i chose not to today purely because i felt wrotten and its howling a cold easterly and i really dont like riding into it for any length of time lol! but oif the weekend turns out to be bad, i may be regretting that!
    did think a bout a blast aorund tehidy as thatsh with the wind and then on inot portreath through gwellanmore but tried out some flapjacks instead lol! - its all Gem's fault! her were Very tasty!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    Did my daily 10 miler this morning - riding back was really hard work in the wind!
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • jmeadows
    dazza- yeh its busy when the nash is on the bizzies are handling the traffic 100 times better than a few years back tho, so that helps a great deal.
    warbreck moor eh, thats virtually walton vale so dont be trying to class yourself as an aintree villager! :wink::D