Looking for a 100mile (ish) route from Ross to Bristol

chickenlegs
chickenlegs Posts: 246
Duncan try the following:
Ross, Whitchurch, Llangarron, Broad Oak, Skenfrith, Cross Ash, Llanvihangel Crucorney, Llanthony, Hay on Wye, Tregoyd, Velindre, Talgarth, Cwmdu, Tretower, Crickhowell, Llanbedr road out of Crickhowell to Llantillio Pertholey, Llanvapley, Rd. towards Llantilio Crossenny, Llanarth, Bettws Newydd, Usk, then B4235 to Chepstow, over Severn bridge. From here you are rather on your own, there is a way marked cycle route that I followed some years ago that runs right down to Clevedon over the Avon (it actually crosses the Avon on the same bridge as the M5 ). My recollection is that it went throughElberton, Olveston,Tockington etc. Dont be tempted to use the A403, it is a very fast road used by HGV's
Once you are over the Severn bridge the route becomes pretty flat but the Welsh side around the Black Mts. will give you hils aplenty.
You really need an Ordnance Survey map with you if you dont know the area. IIcant find the A479 you refer to but I personally would avoid A roads like the plague if you want a pleasant ride & a long life!!
Hope the above is of some help, good riding.

Comments

• Duncan try the following:
    Ross, Whitchurch, Llangarron, Broad Oak, Skenfrith, Cross Ash, Llanvihangel Crucorney, Llanthony, Hay on Wye, Tregoyd, Velindre, Talgarth, Cwmdu, Tretower, Crickhowell, Llanbedr road out of Crickhowell to Llantillio Pertholey, Llanvapley, Rd. towards Llantilio Crossenny, Llanarth, Bettws Newydd, Usk, then B4235 to Chepstow, over Severn bridge. From here you are rather on your own, there is a way marked cycle route that I followed some years ago that runs right down to Clevedon over the Avon (it actually crosses the Avon on the same bridge as the M5 ). My recollection is that it went throughElberton, Olveston,Tockington etc. Dont be tempted to use the A403, it is a very fast road used by HGV's
    Once you are over the Severn bridge the route becomes pretty flat but the Welsh side around the Black Mts. will give you hils aplenty.
    You really need an Ordnance Survey map with you if you dont know the area. IIcant find the A479 you refer to but I personally would avoid A roads like the plague if you want a pleasant ride & a long life!!
    Hope the above is of some help, good riding.

Ouch!

Does RoW to Whitchurch take you up Symonds Yat Rock? Thats another slightly tasty one ( and the finish I think of the Forest of Dean sportive coming up soon).
  • chickenlegs
    chickenlegs Posts: 246
    No, it takes you out of Ross over Kerne bridge, up the hill & then towards Whitchurch.
    (You could if you wish divert to Symonds Yat at this point & follow the new cycle track along the Wye to Monmouth, over the bridge in Monmouth into the town & take the Rockfield/Newcastle road out of the town to Cross Ash)
    When you get to Whitchurch you wiil see a VW garage on your right go over dual c/way turn immediately left & then immediately right, -this is a service road running parallel to the dual c/way- in Whitchurch turn right by the shop, pub & clocktower & proceed up the hill to Llangrove.
    You really do need to use an O/S map in this area if you are unfamiliar with it. There are few if any rides in this area or even the UK that can truly replicate a continental Etape. You will find however that the route will take its toll in terms of climbing simply by the continual number of climbs you are doing.
    You could of course simply devise a route around the Fores of Dean, there is plenty of climbing to be had there.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    The A403 from Aust back to Bristol is OK, though I would avoid it on weekdays due to very heavy lorry traffic. It's not the most scenic road (thought the initial bit from Aust south along the coast is nice). Most of the lorries pass quite safely - it's the Royal Mail ones that have the real nutters driving them, in my experience. In fact all sizes of Royal Mail vehicle are the worst on the road, in my opinion!
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • No, it takes you out of Ross over Kerne bridge, up the hill & then towards Whitchurch.
    (You could if you wish divert to Symonds Yat at this point & follow the new cycle track along the Wye to Monmouth, over the bridge in Monmouth into the town & take the Rockfield/Newcastle road out of the town to Cross Ash)
    When you get to Whitchurch you wiil see a VW garage on your right go over dual c/way turn immediately left & then immediately right, -this is a service road running parallel to the dual c/way- in Whitchurch turn right by the shop, pub & clocktower & proceed up the hill to Llangrove.
    You really do need to use an O/S map in this area if you are unfamiliar with it. There are few if any rides in this area or even the UK that can truly replicate a continental Etape. You will find however that the route will take its toll in terms of climbing simply by the continual number of climbs you are doing.
    You could of course simply devise a route around the Fores of Dean, there is plenty of climbing to be had there.

I drive past this every day on my commute. I have mapped a route from Usk to Rowy that avoids the A40 apart from the short monmouht section at the lights. I'm sure my route tales me down/up yat rosk cant see any other way....
  • Pete Beer
    Pete Beer Posts: 604
    Out ;of interest what's the surface like on the Symonds Yat - Monmouth track like?
    We're thinking of cycling bristol to Monmouth and then maybe tagging on the path, for the next fixed Bristol outing.............
  • Chr1sM
    Chr1sM Posts: 2
    Did it the other week and it's quite good. Rode it on 23c tyres no problem. It's basically flat with a smooth, fine gravel surface.The roughest bit is actually the tarmac section leading into Hadnock Road.
    Nice scenic amble along the river :D
  • Pete Beer
    Pete Beer Posts: 604
    Thanks Chris