Which of these mudguards would you recommend?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,599
edited April 2008 in Commuting chat
Exciting huh?!

For my gf's 700c wheeled commuter, currently running narrow tyres, but she might want some slightly wider ones on there at some point.

I have SKS ones fitted to my Carrera, but in 60mm width, so was thinking about 45mm for her bike, or is that too wide/too narrow?

These are sold as commuter guards: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25795
25795.jpg

Or is it better if I get these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2579425794.jpg

The latter ones in 60mm are the ones I have fitted, and they are very good quality, just wondered if anyone had experienced the 'commuter' ones, and if it was worth the price saving - have found them for around £15 delivered.

Thanks

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• alexB
    alexB Posts: 2,199
    P45s are 45mm wide and suit 28mm tyres up to about 37mm, perhaps a bit bigger.
    P60s suit larger volume tyres like 42-47mm tyres.

The SKS bluemels with the more widely spaced stays are better. But they're cheaper at Ribble cycles badged as the slightly higher quality SKS P35/P45 etc.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,599
    Thanks for your reply Alex, I wasn't sure what width of tyre was recommended for what tyre size - that gives me a good idea.

P35's are uber cheap at Ribble, but I think they will be a little bit narrow, however I expect that the P45's will do the trick nicely.

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • alexB
    alexB Posts: 2,199
    I've just measured my P35's They are exactly 35mm at the centre of the curve if that makes sense and 45mm at their widest. They're quite a close fit on 28mm tyres, so if your tyres are larger than that, you'll need the P45s.
    P35/45 mudguards are a squarish profile, think of a flat with two angled sides.
    The bluemels have a round profile. Personally I think the square profile P-range are much more rigid - less likely to rub!