Best bike for.. [oh no, not again!]

bigjim
bigjim Posts: 780
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Just clocked in to this forum and here we go again. Best bike for... My budget is .......Sheesh! The money people have to spend. If I was sat looking for advice and a bit skint I think I would just shut down the computer and nip out and buy the best bus pass for £.... I know it is a hobby site but surely cycling can also be an affordable hobby for everyone. People say it is the new golf but looking at some of the prices bandied about golf could be a cheaper option. So, rant over here is the test. Best bike [all rounderish] for £100? Suprisingly it does not have to be new. Come on let's see how many opions on this one.

Jim

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'm not specifically talking about you bigjim, but people wouldn't expect to get a good computer for £100, so why do they expect to get a good bike for that?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • bigjim
    I'm not specifically talking about you bigjim, but people wouldn't expect to get a good computer for £100, so why do they expect to get a good bike for that?

Oh come on! I've bought in the last two years, perfect, almost mint condition 80s bikes that have years and years of comfortable, light, fast, touring/commuting miles in them for less than £60. A lot of beginners and hobbysits are driven by whatever cycle company's marketing department tells them to buy. Before you ask I also have a couple of newish £500 to £600 bikes. We should promote cycling and decry anything that stops anybody from putting a leg over a bike and going for a ride. By the way the computer I am typing this on cost £60 last year. But I also have a top end laptop.
    It's not about the bike.

Jim :lol:
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    bigjim wrote:
    Oh come on! I've bought in the last two years, perfect, almost mint condition 80s bikes that have years and years of comfortable, light, fast, touring/commuting miles in them for less than £60.

Jim :lol:

If that's the case Jim, then why do you ask ?
  • redddraggon
    My first proper road bike cost less than £300, and I was happy with it, and it did the job. There's no need for reverse snobbery.

I dare say you can get good quality 80s bikes for less than £100, but personally haven't seen too many for sale (perhaps I'm not looking hard enough).

Why not spend our money on expensive bikes? I don't run a car, I spend less than £10 a month on alcohol (back to uni in september so that might change).
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    83 quid. It'd had a re-enamel and rebuild 24 years and 350 miles ago. I did have to get new tyres and change from the stem mounyed shifters and...that was it.

carlcat5.jpg
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • redddraggon
    meagain wrote:
    83 quid. It'd had a re-enamel and rebuild 24 years and 350 miles ago. I did have to get new tyres and change from the stem mounyed shifters and...that was it.

I really want to know where you find your bargains, I'd love a classic bike like that.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • meagain
    Paid a bit over the odds for this one at 92 quid. And spent 40 on it since the snap.

grncarl1.jpg
    d.j.
  • meagain
    I really want to know where you find your bargains, I'd love a classic bike like that.

No secret: th'ebay is STILL your friend!
    d.j.
  • redddraggon
    meagain wrote:
    No secret: th'ebay is STILL your friend!

Unfortunately, not having a car and living in N. Wales, means that the majority of "local pick up only" auctions are out of my range.

Do you pick them up, or do you get them sent to you?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • bigjim
    My first proper road bike cost less than £300, and I was happy with it, and it did the job. There's no need for reverse snobbery.

I mentioned I also own [for me] new expensive bikes. Where is the reverse snobbery? Expect better from a fellow Manc.
    List good all round bikes for £100:
    Raleigh Record Sprint. E-bay [Mint] £50.
    Dawes Horizon. LBS [Excellent] £65
    Raleigh Clubman E-Bay [Excellent] £47.
    Another Record Sprint. LBS [almost mint] £40
    Raleigh Winner . LBS [bit scruffy.] £27
    Marin MTB E-Bay [Excellent] £100

All servicable and ready for the road. Upgrade if you wish as you go along but perfectly capable as they are.

Jim :)
  • meagain
    That IS a problem: lots at these sorts of prices are collect only - and I will travel 25-50 miles (tho' both the above Carltons were within 12 miles!). Even when state "collect only", always worth asking: amazing what thought of a bigger market can do!

And like this one, sellers can often travel-to-meet:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Raleigh-Competiti ... dZViewItem

It's just an e.g. from current listings - probably need a few quid spending but it IS 531c!
    d.j.
  • redddraggon
    bigjim wrote:
    Expect better from a fellow Manc.

I'm Welsh........
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • meagain
    bigjim wrote:
    Expect better from a fellow Manc.

I'm Welsh........

And worse....I'm Welsh by blood, Manchester by birth...
    d.j.
  • bigjim
    And worse....I'm Welsh by blood, Manchester by birth...
    You think you have problems. I'm Irish by blood/birth/good looks and Manchester by oh...stuck here you know.
    On bikes. Just needed as many examples of under £100 steeds that a first timer would enjoy without being put off the sport]/hobby by the cost. Quite happy to see people spend fortunes on bikes. It keeps the industry and jobs going. But it does not have to be compulsary to subscribe.

Jim :)
  • meagain
    "You think you have problems"

Not a problem to ME - best nationality, best birthplace!
    d.j.
  • lilactime
    lilactime Posts: 86
    there is a lot of snobbery . the difference between a pair of £50 running trainers and a £100 pair is nothing , ie they aint gonna make you go faster , same between a £500 bike and a £1000 bike . its down to you
  • thexvw
    thexvw Posts: 135
    lilactime wrote:
    there is a lot of snobbery . the difference between a pair of £50 running trainers and a £100 pair is nothing , ie they aint gonna make you go faster , same between a £500 bike and a £1000 bike . its down to you

For some it may be snobbery, but imho there is a world of difference between old 80's bikes and modern bikes. There is also a fair degree of difference between a £500 and £1000 bike. I own bikes in all these categories. I enjoy riding all of them, but there is little doubt in my mind that the most expensive one is the best by some margin.
  • MrKawamura
    MrKawamura Posts: 192
    meagain wrote:
    And like this one, sellers can often travel-to-meet:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Raleigh-Competiti ... dZViewItem

It's just an e.g. from current listings - probably need a few quid spending but it IS 531c!

I know the following comment has no relevance and is probably quite stupid, but wow, that bike is HUGE!
  • bigjim
    There is also a world of difference between a Fiesta and a Ferrari but they will both efficiently take you to the same place. Of course the Ferrari is probably more likely to break down but that is another story.
    Have you noticed how there are not many cyclists on this particular forum that run older well maintained bikes. Which makes this not a very atttractive forum for new cyclists who just want to try out, or return to cycling without stumping up what can be to some people a lot of hard earned cash. Shame.

Jim
  • meagain
    "are not many cyclists on this particular forum that run older well maintained bikes. "

There is a few of us (older, variously maintained) in Special Interests!
    d.j.
  • bigjim
    There is a few of us (older, variously maintained) in Special Interests!
    s

Agree. But that is not where a beginner would look.

Jim :):)