Help: I've seen it somewhere but no idea where. . .

smithosa
smithosa Posts: 26
So a long time ago, and probably in a magfazine I remember seeing this very clever device which atatched your full kids kide via the fron wheel to your bike, kind of like a tow along but not a tow a long :? :?

If anyone has any ideas of its name or where I could get one I'd be very grateful indeed! :D

Comments

• Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    Do you mean this?

_
  • smithosa
    smithosa Posts: 26
    that isn't actually what I meant although it does look like a good solution. If I remember rightly the thing I'd seen enabled all the wheels of both bike to be on the ground, and worked on the basis of keeping the fornt wheel of the kids bike locked in line with the rear wheel of the adult bike, it almost looked like it had been cut and welded from those things you park your bike in at the playground.
    thanks anayway, I do like it.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Be careful, a friend of ours had one of those and it was very heavy. We're just wondering what to do as our daughter's getting too big for the trailer, we're thinking of going for a tag a long instead. £40 (£70rrp) sounds alot for a piece of scaffolding pole when you can get a tag along for £ 90 (and I bet you'll get more money for a tag along if you sell it on Ebay when you've finished).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    stumpyjon wrote:
    Be careful, a friend of ours had one of those and it was very heavy. We're just wondering what to do as our daughter's getting too big for the trailer, we're thinking of going for a tag a long instead. £40 (£70rrp) sounds alot for a piece of scaffolding pole when you can get a tag along for £ 90 (and I bet you'll get more money for a tag along if you sell it on Ebay when you've finished).

I was in the same situation last year; went for an Adams trail-a-bike in the end. My daughter loves it, though - be warned - it's not too light itself (I went for the single speed in steel) and, while she adds plenty of energy on the flat and downhill sections, on the hills she will let me do the work and then ask "Daddy, why are you puffing so much?"!

_
  • fatbee
    fatbee Posts: 581
    I hired one of those Trailgator things (or something very similar) for a day once and hated it, as did my child. Badly made and flawed in design (I thought,) it rotates the child's bike to an uncomfortable and, IMO potentially dangerous degree. Just look at the kid being towed in the company's own advert (!) Leaning back, clinging on to the handlebars and in severe danger of slipping backwards off the saddle and onto the rear wheel. Doesn't bear thinking about, especially at speed. We've had both an Isla Rowntree and cheaper AlleyCat (from SJSC,) and both were enjoyable. I'm sure the Adams recommended above would be good too - even though none of them is actually what you were after! Do let us now if you find it BTW.
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Just for an alternative PoV...

I know of two families that use TrailGators on regular occasions. Both rave about them and, when the time is right, we will get the chance to try, and probably buy (or borrow!?) one of theirs from them. Both use them the same way - commute connected to the safe-ride distination. Then the kid can ride of their own accord until they are tired. Then ride back connected.

It is a heavy piece of metal, but then, towing a child in any other manner also has a weight cost. It's not a consideration for me personally - that's why my bike has gears.

The angle? It is certainly there, but its not that much different from the angle of riding a road bike to riding a MTB, or perhaps, riding any bike uphill vs downhill. I would, however, always do a try before you buy whenever/wherever possible.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike