Suggestions for non-alpine biking in France

Alain Quay
Alain Quay Posts: 534
edited May 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi

I have some Aussie cobbers coming over in May who want to cycle in France
but who don't want to cycle in the Alps or Pyrenees, I would be grateful for some
suggestiions for a good area to be based in for road biking where it is less steep.

thanks

Comments

• Anywhere!!!
    Try the Loire around Saumur
    or
    Dordogne around medievel town of Sarlat
    or
    Provence anywhere ther except Mt Ventoux
    or
    Carcassonne along Canal Di Midi
    The list is endless
    Peter
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    Alain Quay wrote:
    Hi

I have some Aussie cobbers coming over in May who want to cycle in France
    but who don't want to cycle in the Alps or Pyrenees, I would be grateful for some
    suggestiions for a good area to be based in for road biking where it is less steep.

thanks

Rhone Valley
    Provence
    Carmargue
    Bordeaux

All wonderful.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    All the suggstions are good. Loire is culture & wine but personally I'd go for Provence, north near Nyons? in Alp foothills. Quiet roads, good weather, nice views and dips into Rhone valley for wine 'caves'. Quite a few footpaths too and an active MTB life if you should want that too!
    . Bit hilly but worth the effort. Day trips to Orange, ventoux, Avingon etc.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Anywhere!!!
    Try the Loire around Saumur
    or
    Dordogne around medievel town of Sarlat
    or
    Provence anywhere ther except Mt Ventoux
    or
    Carcassonne along Canal Di Midi
    The list is endless
    Peter

second that, these are great choices and I've done them all.

However, Provence and Dordogne can be quite hilly, as can the Massif Central and Auvergne.

If you want really really flat, go to the West Coast: La Rochelle, Cote Sauvage, Les Landes. Ile de Re is also a great visit from there.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Biased because I lived there for a while but the Alsasce great for cycling, with a choice of pancake flat or hilly routes.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • dobbo75
    dobbo75 Posts: 23
    Alain, I can completely agree with the post above advising you to go to Sarlat in the Dordogne region. It is amazing!!!
  • mac111051
    mac111051 Posts: 92
    Have you thought abought Belgium great cycling country and everyone is cycling mad
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    Normandy, anyone, or south Brittanny. For a bit hillier the Morvan, Champagne or Burgundy. Around Roanne has all you need, rivers, canal, mountains (that are not very steep), wine. North of Macon is a bit "vallonnée" but very pretty and not too much traffic.
    I would agree with Sarlat but the upper valley of the Dordogne is also worth considering (around Argentat).