cycling in ireland

lugster77
lugster77 Posts: 50
edited April 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hi, has anybody got any experience of cycling in ireland? thinking of going for few days in may. either eire or northern ireland havent decided yet, anybody got any experience of over there? think the plan is to have a base somewhere then just radiate out for rides from there, will either be flying into dublin or belfast,the cheapy airlines all seem to have sales on at the mo so thought why not take advantage?! :lol:
cheers
andy

Comments

• My honest opinion regarding dublin as a base for cycling is that you would be better off in Wales. Safer and quieter. The west coast is better. If you do fly to dublin, heading south for the wicklow hills would be the best bet.
    Don't know about Belfast, but the Northwest coast is spectacular, and it is a great city to stay in.
    Dan
  • cycle_ni
    cycle_ni Posts: 1
    I don't know about Dublin, but Northern Ireland has some good routes either around Lough Neagh or up/down some of the very picturesque coast roads.

Just a word of advice if you need any work done in NI don't go near James McGarvey Bicycles - I've been back for repairs six times since buying my new hybrid bike late last year. The repairs are lackluster and nothing is covered under warranty.

Good luck!
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 174
    I would agee with the comments regarding dublin, are you able to fly to Cork? This gives you access to some great countryside in the far south
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I live in Dublin and it's a great location for access to the Wicklow mountains (mountain being a relative term here; no epic climbs but it is hilly enough.) Have a look at the Wicklow 200 sportive site for some ideas (www.wicklow200.ie)

Cork is also a good cycling location, with plenty of rollling hills; you can get a good up 100m-down 100m-up 100m-down 100m thing going, with some good steep gradients.

You will get out of the city quicker in Cork and indeed have options from the airport; you could cycle straight from Cork airport to Kinsale for example (~25km) and stay there.

Ring of Kerry is near Cork and much to be recommended. 180km beautiful cycle. The other Kerry peninsulas are also well worth it.

I've brought a bike with Ryanair before, no problems.

Wicklow from Dublin is probably more appealing overall than around Cork, but it is quicker to get out of Cork city.
  • lugster77
    lugster77 Posts: 50
    much obliged for the replies