Track pump

dboden
dboden Posts: 349
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Just got my 1st road bike. Next purchase - pump
Has anybody on here used the Argos vento track pump £12.99?

Is it any good?
What pressure does it go up to.

Cheers all

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    no idea about that pump in particular, just make sure you get one with a gauge...

I'd prefer to get one from a cycle shop rather than argos
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    dboden wrote:
    Just got my 1st road bike. Next purchase - pump
    Has anybody on here used the Argos vento track pump £12.99?

Is it any good?
    What pressure does it go up to.

Cheers all

try your local lidls they do a track pump with guage for £5! if they still have them in stock. It pumps tyres just fine... Ive got this years and last years lidls track pumps (different designs) last years has proven itself better than the one I spent £30 on from the LBS... Time will tell on reliability on this years version.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I can't get the Lidl pump to attach to my valves properly - basically I need a 3rd hand to hold it in place! Anyone else have this problem? Could be because I have long valves on my inner tubes maybe, seem a bit fatter than normal, but its really frustrating!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    MatHammond wrote:
    I can't get the Lidl pump to attach to my valves properly - basically I need a 3rd hand to hold it in place! Anyone else have this problem? Could be because I have long valves on my inner tubes maybe, seem a bit fatter than normal, but its really frustrating!

I tested mine out last night as I had a flat (which turned out to be a puncture anyway. The pump is now in the bin never to be used after ripping the lock nut off :evil:
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I'd be paying that little bit extra to go for something like this from a more reputable manufacturer. At 27 quid its not too much more expensive but has the advantage of being tried and tested with all the functions you need. It will probably be used that often that a good track pump is worth its weight in gold :D I'm sure there will be other models available from other manufacturers which would prove equally good at a similar price point.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360013205&N=Topeak%20Joe%20Blow%20Sport%20Pump
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    +1 for the Joe Blow. Its a great pump.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Another vote for Joe Blow
  • dboden
    dboden Posts: 349
    If I am going to be spending about £30 then how about a "SKS Rennkommpressor" I have heard these are the dogs?? I have found one for about £32?
    Comments please
  • HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    Topeak Sprint got a great review here on Bike Radar.
    Every winner has scars.
  • I bought the one from argos and it wasn't any good so i took it back and got my money back and got the joe blow, never had any problems with it
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    as above - DON'T get the £12 one from Argos - it is useless!

took mine back the same afternoon - it wouldn't go above about 80psi - absolute crap.

there is a tesco model at the moment - looks the spit of my blackburn one (that I paid £20 for) that they are selling for a tenner! - it is getting decent reviews over on the "road gear" forum at the moment,
  • winoneday
    winoneday Posts: 253
    I have one from the Edinburgh Bike Co-op. It was only £15 but works brilliantly. Easily gets to 120psi and claims to go as high as 160. You can order online if there isn't a shop anywhere near you.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Joe Blow Max 2 - Wiggle £19.99 - will give you a reliable 120 PSI every time - you'll need full body weight to get it from 100 to 120 - it's fast though. The only only dodgy part is the valve thingy - its easy enough to get on but can be awkward to get off - still after a few goes you get used to it.
  • chronyx
    chronyx Posts: 455
    +1
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport - 'Red Rocket'
  • Joe Blow for me too. I carelessly bought a Halfords one last year (15 quid?) and didn't keep the receipt so I couldn't get my money back :( The JB was £30, but worth it.