Looking to Buy a new road bike (around £1000-£1500)

rossbarney2003
rossbarney2003 Posts: 167
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
I'm looking to buy a new road bike, since I have outgrown my first road bike. I loved it at first, but then realised how basic it was lol.

I have been saving up a bit of money and am looking to spend around £1000-£1500 which will probably mostly be on finance.

I think I would rather buy the bike from an actual shop so that I can get sized up etc. I live in Aberdeen and the two main bike shops I can think of are Alpine Bikes and Edinburgh Cycling Co-op.

Can anybody suggest a good bike from any of those shops that is in my price range?

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• thexvw
    thexvw Posts: 135
    Specialized Roubaix, excellent bike really pleased with mine.
  • thexvw wrote:

Which one? lol I just looked up evans cycles and there are so many Specialized Roubaix bikes lol :P
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    thexvw wrote:
    Love mine too. I have an Elite (£1,300).
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Nuggs wrote:
    thexvw wrote:
    Love mine too. I have an Elite (£1,300).

I have a elite too and think its excellent as well and they have reduced them to £1099 so lots of new pedals, helmets bottles etc and still in budget
  • Is it this bike you are speaking about? lol

Click Me
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Is it this bike you are speaking about? lol

Click Me

yes - go and get them to give you a try on it - you'll be hooked
  • sicrow wrote:
    Is it this bike you are speaking about? lol

Click Me

yes - go and get them to give you a try on it - you'll be hooked

I might just do that! lol

Thanks for your help :)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    If I was going to buy a bike for £1500, I'd seriously consider a Planet X with some deep section carbon clinchers.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • thexvw
    I bought a comp, the elite is essentially the same but with slightly lower spec brakes and chainset I believe. Got mine from certini.

http://www.certini.co.uk/view_product.php?c_id=107&sc_id=&p_id=2645
  • azzerb
    azzerb Posts: 208
    Custom build if you can find the good deals it'll be cheaper, and as you've built it yourself you'll feel more confident about repairs etc.

Though PX are really good for the money.
  • allaction
    allaction Posts: 209
    If you are looking for value for money then the Focus range which is available from Wiggle seem excellent. The downside is they are only available online. You could also look at last years models reduced in price in many outlets. There are usually plenty of adverts in cycling mags highlighting various offers. Obvioulsy try your LBS to see what they can do for you, the service often outweighs the gains that can be had elsewhere.
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    I'm not going to make any recommendations but I think it's important that you specify the kind of riding you do, or aspire to do. Makes a big difference to what might suit. For example it might be for all year round, all weathers, long distances at an easy pace where comfort is important - mudguards would be essential, so would a more relaxed riding position which writes off every single bike suggested here.
    Can't believe you got 10 replys without anyone asking for more detail!
  • thexvw
    The focus range looks really good vfm, although I read somewhere that they are\has been a £200 price rise
  • ma123
    ma123 Posts: 87
    Its more like a £99 increase due to being April end of financial year, most dealers will increase prices at this time of year Wiggle are just honest.

Focus bikes are doing a try a bike day in tamworth Catton Hall, Sat 26th April CHECK OUT THE LINK.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/CustomerServices/Events.aspx#2
  • thexvw
    I thought it was something to do with cost of raw materials, loss of production because of the olympics, the pound v dollar\euro, the problems in sub prime market and anything else we can think of.
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    I've suggested in reply to a similar post, Edinburgh cycle's own Shadow Road bike. It's well worth checking out the specs on it. It looks good and for a grand it's got a scandium frame and ultegra sl components
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • Baytt
    Baytt Posts: 102
    Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:58 am Post subject:
    I've suggested in reply to a similar post, Edinburgh cycle's own Shadow Road bike. It's well worth checking out the specs on it. It looks good and for a grand it's got a scandium frame and ultegra sl components

hey, a first post for me on here.

ive had a look at the shadow road bike, went into their shop down in edinburgh and the pictures on the website dont do it justice. it does look really good . not ridden it but it is very light. well light compared to my bike :)

defiantly worth a look.
  • I'm leaning towards the focus cayo......it seems to be a good bike to go for :)
  • I have finally decided on the Focus Cayo Expert 2008. I really like the look of it, and a lot of people seem to say it's a good bike. Gonna order sometime over the next couple of weeks. :D