Lessons learned

jcrofts
jcrofts Posts: 34
edited April 2008 in Commuting chat
A few weeks ago I decided that the drive I make into Glasgow city centre each morning could be done by bike.

Last Thursday I took the plunge and spent the equivalent of a year's parking money on a new bike and all the essential (and not so essential) paraphernalia. No going back now - I can't afford to drive in anymore.

The office is seven miles from the house so I figured on taking things easy with a month of building up to the big event - an actual commute to work.

I started with a ten minute trip around the block on Friday (nearly killed me). On Saturday I managed a little more and went half-way to the office before turning back. I quite enjoyed Saturday's little trip and figured on doing it a few more times this week before pushing up to the full distance in the evenings next week.

So I drove home from work today, jumped on the bike and headed off.

Next thing I know I'm sitting outside the office with aching legs but feeling quite chuffed.

Now that I'm home and have had a chance to recover I thought I'd share a few observations following my first (all be it in the evening) 'commute':

1) If it feels like the ride is going easier than expected it's probably worth asking yourself whether the breeze you can feel on your back has anything to do with it. Cycling the return leg with that breeze in your face is quite a bit harder.

2) Likewise, if the outward trip is mostly downhill try to remember that the return trip is mostly uphill.

3) If you are approaching 20 stone it doesn't matter how long the back of your jacket/t-shirt is, you're still going to be flashing a bit of 'bum cleavage' after a few miles. Get over it - stopping every ten minutes to 'tuck in' just wastes time.

4) I'm not very fit and had the foresight to have two bottle cages fitted to my new bike so I'd have plenty of water. Why, oh why, would I then leave the house with water in only one of the bottles???

5) Before embarking on a 14-mile round trip it probably would have been a good idea to get used to the saddle. There are some places that just shouldn't have blisters.

Oh, and is there something wrong with me? I must have passed a dozen other cyclists this evening and I made a point of saying hello to each of them. Not one of them so much as nodded. Is this normal? Is there no sense of camaraderie amongst cyclists? Maybe it's just Glasgow? :?

I did get a pleasant surprise when I came across a group of neds (the Glasgow equivalent of a Chav) taking up the whole cycle lane as they spray-painted a fence. Just as I was contemplating a (wide) detour across a field one of them spotted me and ushered his compadres out of my way. I managed to gasp my thanks as I passed and was met with a chorus of "Nae bother mister". It's a good thing they couldn't see the surprise on my face. :lol:

Anyway - I'm hooked. :D

Comments

• NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Good for you :D

I only ride for pleasure/fitness and am hooked as well.

I agree about the snobbery, riding a flat bar road bike i get ignored by both roadies and MTB riders :roll:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    jcrofts wrote:
    Oh, and is there something wrong with me? I must have passed a dozen other cyclists this evening and I made a point of saying hello to each of them. Not one of them so much as nodded. Is this normal? Is there no sense of camaraderie amongst cyclists? Maybe it's just Glasgow? :?

it's probably just the Scottish, they are largely miserable buggers.
    NWLondoner wrote:
    I agree about the snobbery, riding a flat bar road bike i get ignored by both roadies and MTB riders :roll:

Well if you decided which crowd you wanted to belong to flatbar/MTB or drops/roadies, you might get accepted - people on flat bar road bike/hybrids on the whole look like geeks.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    I don't ignore those that say hello but I don't go out my way to say anything to others, I am too busy getting on with the commuter race ;)

Honestly doing the commute or distance is a psycological thing as much as physical. You can probably do 7 miles no real worries. Remember the break between doing both legs will allow you to recover. Even though the battle home is uphill (as is mine) its actually probably easier once you have woken up properly after a day of work and taking in food and energy to do it that way.

You will soon learn the biggest nightmare is always headwinds.....awful things and this winter I have had one week where everyday felt like battling against a gale.

Get yourself some padded shorts. If you don't want full on lycra get some mountain bike shorts with inserts....that padding is invaluable.

You probably only need one bottle of water for that distance but do what gets you through it.

Good luck!
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    jcrofts wrote:
    No, but it seems to be becoming more prevelant as the number of cyclists in Glasgow grows - it gets a bit tedious saying "Good morning" to tens of cyclists every day. As you continue your commute, you'll get to know the regulars and they'll get to recognise you as 'one of them'.

Of course, statistically, some of them are likely to be miserable buggers - just like in Manchester. :wink:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • I am out in the sticks, so don't see that many folks, bul all the cyclists walkers, and dog walkers I meet on my route always say "morning" or we just acknowledge each other with a small wave.
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30