Does those pedals with clips or clipless pedals help?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Hi.

At the moment I use normal MTB pedals on my racing bike, if I switched to the pedals with clips on (provided I have the correct shoes) or got some of those shoes with cleats in them and used the special pedals would I notice any difference from MTB pedals? Would it allow me to put more power into the wheels by been able to pull up too?

Also how much would it cost to get some pedals with clips and some shoews that go in them? Or shoes with cleats and those special pedals?

Thanks
Willz.

Comments

• nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    You realy want to be getting yourself some Shimano spd pedals,as if you go to toe clips & straps,on a MTB,you won't be able to get your foot out quick enough for dismounting in a hurry,ie rocky climbs etc.Costs involved?.......what do you want to pay?
    Check out the net for the pedal prices.Shoes,I'd always advise trying these at point of purchase,as what suits one,won't suit another.
    You will definately be able to get more power down on the climbs,once you get used to them.
    Hope this helps?
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Anonymous
    I am using a road bike, currently with MTB pedals and wanting to know if there would be anoticable difference going from MTB pedals in terms of the power I can get into the wheels due to been able to pull up?

Looking at around 50 quid for pedals and shoes.
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    I have found "clipless" pedals (i.e. SPD) to feel much more efficient.
    It's a lot more direct, and yes, you can pull-up, but overall I think you'll find that throughout the pedal stroke you're converting a signifcantly increased percentage of your effort into forward motion.
    I certainly found that I could go faster or further for the same effort.
    50 quid - probably doable - Some firms make SPD pedal copies that are keenly priced, or there's always Ebay. Aldi sometimes do cycling gear.
    Cheap shoes may not be stiff and well formed enough in the sole though, so you may end up going back later for more expensive shoes.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    The big advantage of both old-fashioned toe-clips and modern clipless pedals is that they keep your foot properly positioned for efficient pedalling. I rarely use the ability to pull as well as push but on the odd occasions I've ridden a bike without either foot positioning system I feel very insecure.

Of the 2 systems clipless is much the better.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Anonymous
    Would clipless require new shoes? That the ones with cleats in?
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    willhub wrote:
    Would clipless require new shoes? That the ones with cleats in?
    Yes, and as Geoff points out, you must ensure that the shoes are compatible with the clipless system you are purchasing.
    For instance, if you buy SPD clipless pedals, you will require SPD compatible shoes.
    If you buy SPD-SL clipless pedals, you will require SPD-SL compatible shoes.

The main difference between types, is whether the cleat sticks out and therefore the shoe is treadless (and more difficult/slippery to walk in).
    SPD shoes are the MTB favourite, as you can walk with these much easier than SPD-SL, which tends to be used by roadies.

I use SPD (or toestraps on my mountain bike), as I can walk home if I really stuff the bike up (and am still able to walk!), plus it's useful for short distance walking to shops round town or cafes, or negotiating steps.
  • i was riding look pedals and shoes and decided i wanted to go down the route of spd pedals etc. I highly recommend ordering off JE JAMES cycles (jejamescycles.com) as they have a sale on at the moment, i was able to get some nike mountain bike shoes yesterday and the spd pedals with cleats for under £50, not bad considering the shoes alone were reduced from £79!
  • doobie919
    doobie919 Posts: 119
    As long as their set up right, clipless are wonderful.

It just takes some getting used to, and remember that when you can't unclip quick enough it comes with experience with them.

I'd recommend some SPD pedals and cleats and try on any shoes in your local bike shop for the correct fitting, since it is very important that the shoes fit perfectly or your feet will hurt.
    2007 Fuji Newest 3.0.
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Cateye Velo 5 Computer

2009 Mongoose Subject BMX
    !!Upgrades!!!!!
    Sky blue tires
    New seatpost and seat ( made by pivotal)
  • Anonymous
    So should I go to a bike shop like evans and but the shoes and that from there since I have to try them on?

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id42619.html What pedals would I need for something like those? Or dont they have cleats in them?

I'm really confused, is it worth the money though I mean if I am going to spend 50 quid I would hope to see a large difference really.

I also need some new wheels as I found my rear wheel has a 4mm diameter hole in it :shock:

Also I think I might buy pedals from http://www.wiggle.co.uk/CategoryProduct ... &cat=cycle
  • pedals will 99% come with the correct cleats, so you just buy the pedals and shoes...
  • Anonymous
    But all cleats dont fit all cleated shoes do they? Some are different?

Would these 2 go together?:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... T1%20Shoes

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... t%20Pedals