Cycle route from Saltaire to Skipton?

mickol
mickol Posts: 3
edited July 2008 in Routes
Hello all,

Well I finally took the plunge and treated my self to a mountain bike having not been on a bike in about 15 years. I got a Saracen Vortex LE which I was advised by the dude in the shop was a good entry level MTB. Went out for my first ride to today to get reaquainted with the noble art... no injuries but a sore arse and wobbly legs (managed about 10 miles :oops: )

Anyway I went from Shipley up to Crossflats and back. I've been looking on the maps and was wondering if anyone's cycled from Shipley/Saltaire up to Skipton and if so how hard is the route? Better yet is it possible to follow the canal all or part of the way after Bingley? I had a look on the Aire Valley Towpath website but the map only goes as far as Bingley.

Thanks

Comments

• nickdt
    nickdt Posts: 1
    The route is pretty straightforward. About two miles out of Keighley, the towpath deteriorates into mud, which is good, then it gets a little more towpathy again. I seem to remember it is about 13/14 miles, each way. Not the most varied and interesting terrain, but anything that gets you out is good.
    There are some nice rides up on the moors/glen and up in St Ives/Harden Moor for a change and a challenge when you get fitter
  • mickol
    mickol Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply :D

I'm sticking to the airevalley towpath for the time being to try and build up a bit of stamina and get used to the bike and all the gears. Hopefully in a few months I'll be able to hit up some decent off roading.
  • towers007
    towers007 Posts: 1
    hi i live in the same area is there any deiecent rides in the area that are off road ??

thanks

tom
  • I lived in the area for a while a few years ago and used to ride around Malham - There are some steep climbs involved however. I've also rode most of the towpath to leeds and up to Skipton (I think it was anyway).

Thing I found personally was the flat stuff was good to start with but only takes you to a point, but doing nothing for 15 years it's probably best to build up slow.

The hills and rough climbs are where you really start to see some benifit as your forced to work harder - but it's very tough going to start with and my only advice as starting from a similar position years ago is don't try and rush up the hill to get it over with - take your time and go slowly and go a bit faster next time depending upon how you feel.
    Don't worry if people go faster than you just go at your own pace - sod em tbh.

As long as you accept climbing will be uncomfortable and not easy your on the right track mentally IMO. I used to dread the climbs but now I don't care - I know i'm gonna be blowing and working hard but thats the point and it does get easier especially with some built up leg strength :) . I used tio find my legs "went" before I ran out of breath you then seem to cross that point where you legs are fine and can outlast you aerobically.

As for gear selection it's something that many experienced bikers take for granted. When you hit the rough stuff im sure you'll often be in too high a gear if the track suddenly goes up steeply and trying to change down with force on the cranks wont work. You just need to change early and if you must change down while going up in too high a gear you need to release some pressure just as its about to change but thats really a last alternative - get down early is my advice until your used to it.

Another mistake I made early on was not eating enough pre and post rides and I used to get headaches from not drinking enough - I now always carry a couple of Gel packs just in case im having a bad day in the saddle and force myself to drink regular from a bladder pack.

As for a sore ars* well we all get that but correct setup and padded underwear or shorts help alot.

Anyway keep it up - it does get easier but can take time so don't get disheartend and stop.
  • bells0
    bells0 Posts: 414
    I live in Thackley.

Rode down to Shipley train St last Sunday and caught the train out to Skipton.

Then cycled the canal path all the way back through Saltaire to Apperley Bridge and home.

The canal path is straight over the rd from Skipton rail station, so handy. Is about 22 miles back to App bridge.

1st time i've done such a distance - found it relatively easy as flat. The 1st 6 or so miles out of Skipton are pretty bumpy and harder work [especially as it was blowing a gale last Sunday!] - but there on in to Salts is pretty flat.

Give the walkers ahead a shout plenty in advance as they can be a bit slow to move! :)
  • rmurgatr
    rmurgatr Posts: 9
    Youve got a 12 - 15K Baildon route on your doorstep, perfect for a couple of hours in an evening.