Am I being an idiot? And, agghhh - What bike. . .if not a PX

RC21
RC21 Posts: 166
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
I was all set to buy a Planet X SL Pro Carbon for £999: http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Carbon_Dura_Ace_Road__999_Build_13.html

But I found out they use the same frame as a Raleigh which for some reason has really put me off them - I guess I had the impression that they were exclusive bikes made by a UK company and it gave me a nice feeling inside to own one, but if I bought one I would essentially be riding a glorified Raleigh with some nice components. . . .which doesn't feel very special to me. . . Am I being an idiot? (No offence to Raleigh owners – I currently ride one)

In any case I’m now looking at these 2 bikes and have a budget of £1000:

Trek 1.9 - £999: http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/2008/road/1_series/19e/
Bianchi 1885 - £999: http://www.bianchi.it/en/products2008/Road_Y8B23.aspx

What do you reckon to them – any others I should be considering except the Focus bikes?

Thanks for any help.
RC

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Get the planet X.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    To expand on Redds answer. The Trek and Bianchi don 't really have much exclusivity either so don't base it on that. However, I'd just go for which ever floats your boat.
  • RC21
    Thanks for the reply - I know the Trek and Bianchi's aren't as exclusive, but they were the bikes I were looking at before the Planet X and seemed the best I could get for the money. I've booked a test ride on both the Trek and Bianchi this weekend to see how I get on with them. . . I just wondered if anyone had any opinions on the bikes or something else for around the same money. I'm slightly leaning towards the Bianchi but worried about the Campag Veloce Gear-set as I don't know much about them.

Also, am I being stupid thinking the Planet X as a glorified Raleigh? Is it the best bike of the bunch? I think i just feel let down with what I thought the bike was. . .

Thanks again for your help
    RC
  • lilactime
    lilactime Posts: 86
    i was going to buy planet x , but lbs had bmc streetfire , soon as i spotted eyes on it had to have it , full capagnolo veloce , which is excellent , full easton . and a fitting , plus they through in pedals computer and shoes , for a grand . rides great and not likely to see another one . i think all the bikes around a grand are going to perform about the same , just buy what looks the prettiest . nice to support lbs as well
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    go get the Planet-x

it is NOT a glorified raleigh - it's not a raleigh frame re-badged - it isnt made by either company - it will be made in taiwan probably in the same factory as a lot of treks. specializeds, giants you name it are made

it's a quality, highly regarded frame - regardless of the badge on it

personally I'd go for the raliegh version because it comes with campag veloce which I would prefer to the ultegra.
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    If I was spending about a grand on a road bike right now, I'd genuinely be sorely tempted by Edinburgh cycles new own brand road bike, the Shadow Road. It's really really light and with good quality kit on it, and looks pretty handsome too. It won't ring bells if you want a 'name' bike, but it's well worth checking out if you want a fast solid bike
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Forget the Raleigh comparison, out of the three you have mentioned, I would have the Planet X over the Trek and Bianchi every time.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I would have the Planet X over the Trek and Bianchi every time.
    Me too.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    gkerr4 wrote:
    personally I'd go for the raliegh version because it comes with campag veloce which I would prefer to the ultegra.

You won't hear me say this often, but I'd rather go with the full Ultegra groupset (if you can still get it - and it's not just the dura ace mix) over the veloce/dodgy other brands mix.

In my eyes the Ultegra is hierarchically above Veloce (although I rather Campag on the whole) and you get the full groupset rather than the mix of rubbish with the veloce.

My biggest pet hates - non groupset brake callipers (they tend to be rubbish compared to the groupset one) and 3rd party chainsets (most of them look rubbish)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    gkerr4 wrote:

You won't hear me say this often, but I'd rather go with the full Ultegra groupset (if you can still get it - and it's not just the dura ace mix) over the veloce/dodgy other brands mix.

In my eyes the Ultegra is hierarchically above Veloce (although I rather Campag on the whole) and you get the full groupset rather than the mix of rubbish with the veloce.

My biggest pet hates - non groupset brake callipers (they tend to be rubbish compared to the groupset one) and 3rd party chainsets (most of them look rubbish)

yeah but the brake calipers (and I'm withyou on the pet hate for unbranded calipers) can be replaced for what, £30-£40

alright the chainset is a bit more expensive to replace - but again Veloce compact or reg. double can be had for £74 + £8 for the BB cups. The std. unit is an FSA which most people could probably live with.

the raleigh comes with half decent wheels too!

Have you seen the c+ review of £1500 bikes - the raleigh airlite race (which can be had for £1100) gets a good review - it clearly has the Deda Scuro frameset and looks well for it. Nice to see the metallic raleigh badge on the headset too.

I agree that ultegra is better in the groupset hierarchy - but I just don't like the shape of the levers - they make spending a lot of time on the hoods painful for me.
  • I test rode a superlight carbon yesterday and it really flies. I can't think of a good reason why not to buy! The overall finished product looks and feels fantastic. Okay, its not hand brazed in the UK but its still a British product in a way that a Trek or Giant never will be. Calipers and chainset can be upgraded for peanuts if necessary. I got an external dura ace BB for £15 from PBK earlier this year so I think its a question of buy now or regret it later in summer when the demand increases and the spec tails off a bit.
  • RC21
    Thanks guys for all the advice - I'm coming back round to the Planet X but seen as I've booked test rides on the Bianchi and Trek this weekend i'll see how I stand afterwards. . .

RC