Specialized Allez: Advice on bike sizes needed

aznulrizal
aznulrizal Posts: 24
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
I'm 5' 9" and trying to find out what is the best size for the Specialized Allez road bike. The guide that i've got from the on-line shops normally states: 54cm for height of 5'6" to 5'9", and 56cm for 5'9 to 5'11". So basically i'm stuck in the middle. £600 is a bit too risky to simply buy and 'gamble'... so any input from you lots would be helpful. If it helps, i used to ride medium Giant (50cm) and it's perfect.

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i'd go for a 54 if I was you

And do ride a 54 - i'm about 5'8" - the 56 would be quite a stretch for me, but I have a 32" inside leg so what height I have is in my legs.

Also - it is easier to stretch a 54 - raise the seat is easy as is getting a slightly larger stem - the std will be 100mm so 110 or 120mm stem will make a big difference.

it's not so easy to shrink a 56 if you find it is too much.

as an added bonus - the size 54 frame will be lighter than the 56

nice bike the allez - i love the geometry of them - I have a langster which is the same geometry - loved it so much it forced me to buy the roubaix!
  • I'm 6 foot and ride a 56 E5 S works frame so I guess the 54 is what you want. Also the allez has a longer top tube so a smaller frame is probably best.
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • Camlan
    Camlan Posts: 6
    Just to second the above

I'm 5'9 and a bit and the 54 Allez suits me perfectly.
  • I'm 5'10 and 32" inside leg and I have 54" which is very comfortable.

The Allez is a cracking bike, just wish I had the lungs and legs to do mine justice.....I'd have to ride a teenage mutant ninja turtles 3 wheeler for that. Anyone have the frame geometry for those?? :lol:
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Im just :roll: over 6 foot and ride a 58cm Allez. I find it as comfortable as I had hoped a road bike would be after 20 years away :D .

Agreed Pastieboy The bike is much better than I am. I believe Im inspired enough to change this though, starting this summer, when that starts :oops:
  • thexvw
    thexvw Posts: 135
    I'm 5' 11 and ride a 54 allez which fits fine. I agree with everyone else above, its a great bike.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The bike is much better than I am.

Rubbish, a bike is a bike, it can't be better than you.

Try this: Have a race with your bike - I bet you'd win.............
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    If I were your height, I go with the 54.

I'm facing a similar dilemma to you with a frame I'm thinking of buying. It comes in 55 & 57, and I'm pretty sure my ideal size is a 56. :(
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    Sorry Reddraggon, it was a thoughtless reply wasnt it? :roll: I was just trying to say how very happy I am with my bike and am glad to see others share this opinion. I wish I was fitter and didnt run out of steam after 3 hours so that I may enjoy it for even longer.

Why are you even reading this thread Reddraggon? Its a low group Shimano bike :P
  • MrKawamura
    MrKawamura Posts: 192
    I'm 5'7" and my Allez is a 52. A 54 does sound right for 5'9" - I tried it and it seemed a touch too big.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Bought an Allez last week.

I'm 6'1" (32" leg) and got a 56cm frame.

It is a good idea to test one first. I thought I would need the 58cm, but after a 6 mile test ride found the 56cm very comfortable.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Another vote for a 54 here:

I'm 5'9'' and got a 54 a couple of weeks back - perfect fit for me (31ins inside leg)
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    I'm 6ft and have a 58cm Allez Sport. I think I have a long back versus legs though!

Can you not go into a shop and try the two sizes?
  • I ride a specialized allez sport 52" and i'm 5'8". The 52" frame is the perfect size for me.