New to Hampshire - suggestions for group rides?

DavidBelcher
DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
Hi all,

I've recently relocated to Winchester from West Yorkshire; whilst I'm getting to know my way around the lanes thanks to OS maps, going out training on my own all the time gets a bit lonely and/or boring. Due to my work pattern and other commitments, the only times I really have free are weekday evenings and the odd Saturday afternoon - anyone know of any good group runs likely to be out and about in the area at these times? Looking for reasonably brisk rides to keep the fitness up, but probably avoiding hell-for-leather chaingangs for the time being! The chance to improve my social diary - don't know many people in the area other than work colleagues and my next-door neighbours so far - would be an added bonus too. All feedback greatly welcomed.

Thanks in advance,
David
"It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    The only club I know of in Winchester is the V C Venta so it might be worth getting in touch with them?

One of the regular C+ crowd by the username of Houllier moved down there a couple of years ago but I've not seen any postings from him for some time.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Isle of Wight Randonnee - May Bank Holiday weekend
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    You might want also to check out Sotonia who ride from a community centre in Eastleigh on a Tuesday night.

I'm Winchester based too - there are some great rides, as I am sure you have discovered, over Farley Mount and out towards Kings Somborne, on to Stockbridge.

Also worth heading up to Alresford and through towards the Candovers into Upper and Lower Wield.

And finally, there is some good country the other side of Alresford, between there and Bishops Waltham.

Basically, its a great place to live and cycle, and that's before you even start to consider the longer rides out through Romsey into the New Forest...