Beginner bike advice please

simonbax
simonbax Posts: 2
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Hi there, sorry to be a pain, but I really need a little advise. Im 36, and have had back problems for last few years meaning I have done little exercise. I think Im ok now, and am planning on some cycling to get me started. I probably want to spend around £200 to start with, so I can make sure its not going to damage my back again before I spend big money on a bike. After looking around on this and other sites, I am being drawn to the Claud Butler Chinook. Would this be a good starting point, or can anybody recommend anything else?
Thanks in advance
Simon

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hi, you might be more comfortable on a more upright back friendly hybrid with a suspension seatpost. I used to have a Specialized Crossroads ( now called Globe ) you could pick up a second hand one for £150 / £250.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    i occasionally have quite severe back problems but can ride a road bike with drop handle bars. Cycling tends to naturally shorten your hamstrings which can then cause lower back pain (so says my osteopath) so it's important to regularly stretch your hamstrings. I do before and after riding. The other thing i have been told is to not spend too long in one position so drops are ideal in this respect as they have three positions compared to a flat bars one position.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • timbo58
    timbo58 Posts: 27
    I love my chinook and lost a total of 3 stone last year using the bike and a good diet!

its light and very flickable, the brakes are good, tyres grippy and wear well and the shimano gears are well spaced and precise.
    I fitted toe clips and a gel seat but apart from those its very nice and certainly capable of commuting/general fitness stuff.

Not sure about your particular problem, I suppose it depends on the roughness of the roads you ride on?
    i.e. my B and unlisted farm roads circuit of 9 miles might be too rough if you have a sensitive back.
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    Nothing wrong wit Claud Butler, I think it is a good idea to try a reasonably priced bike before you decide whether it is for you or not.

As one of the others said a Hybrid with its more upright position is generally considered to be better for backs.

Have you considered a second hand bike? If you lenjoy cycling you could always sell it second hand again. Then go for what you like, be it Hybrid or full road spec.
  • TheBoyBilly
    TheBoyBilly Posts: 749
    Just to throw another Claud Butler into the equation, you can buy a 2007 Urban Comfort from Evans at £199 if you're quick. This could be ideal for a bad-back sufferer.
    To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    Just to throw another Claud Butler into the equation, you can buy a 2007 Urban Comfort from Evans at £199 if you're quick. This could be ideal for a bad-back sufferer.

Just to follow on from that, I've had a Claud Urban 300 for some time now for commuting and the odd wander on tracks. It's like an armchair (and I mean that in a good way).