10speed split link

John C.
John C. Posts: 2,113
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
One of my cycling buddies has a Shimano equipped 10 speed Focus bike. The chain and cassette need cleaning badly. Am I OK to use a normal chain splitter on the chain and does anyone make a reusable split link for 10 speed chains ?
http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
Hills are just a matter of pace

Comments

• Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    Get a powerlink, they are great and re-useable.
  • Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    Get a powerlink, they are great and re-useable.
  • Phekdra
    Phekdra Posts: 137
    John C. wrote:
    One of my cycling buddies has a Shimano equipped 10 speed Focus bike. The chain and cassette need cleaning badly. Am I OK to use a normal chain splitter on the chain and does anyone make a reusable split link for 10 speed chains ?

I use a KMC 10 speed missing link to connect my chain. Admittedly it is a KMC chain, but the packaging suggests it is suitable for Shimano chains too. I used a normal chain splitter to unlink my old Shimano ten speed. It was a bit of a fiddle but that may have just been me! :) I'm perfectly willing to accept the fact that millions of people will now tell me that this was totally the wrong thing to do...

Phekdra
  • musto_skiff
    musto_skiff Posts: 394
    When my LBS fitted my compact they split the chain & joined it with a KMC link. They come in Shimano or Campy so make sure you get the right one.

Works fine so I brought a spare link to put on my saddle pack.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Chain tool is OK to split the chain. Take the split outer link right off and replace with a KMC or Connex link (the 10-speed SRAM links don't come apart).

KMC is cheaper.
    The connex link is easier to find next time you want to split the chain, but has to be fitted the right way round or you'll get chain skip in the smallest sprocket.