How hard are they?

beastieboyo
beastieboyo Posts: 20
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi,
Just getting back on a bike after a 7 years off, (moved to the city to find fame and fortune..still poor)
Would probably re-grade myself intermediate.

Have been looking at what trails to ride,after checking out the mbwales site I really fancy afan and llanwrtyd wells for the first time.
Both are graded difficult,is that difficult to a complete novice or generally difficult to an average biker.?

Cheers max
The only thing to slow me down is father time.:-(
(And the odd tree)
Zesty 714
Gt zaskar carbon expert

Comments

• milkywhite
    milkywhite Posts: 534
    Just go for it.

Don't ride too hard your first time round, and get off and have a look at any sections you don't like the look of before you ride them.

You'll be fine. Just take it easy. It's supposed to be a challenge!
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    youll be amazed at what you can do. like when i saw the singlespeed cross country rider (oh and rigid)... and spds bouncing down my local black dh run... then biking back up the fireroad. even got a wee bit of air on the tables, was well epic.
    i ride a hardtail
  • Cheers guys,
    Guess you just gotta have a go.
    I'm riding hardtail so will attack the uphill and take it easy on the downhill..just for now. :D

Cheers max

Ps-if you see a gt carbon expert wrapped around a tree and a welshman crying,just pass on by.
    (And the odd tree)
    Zesty 714
    Gt zaskar carbon expert
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    if i see a gt carbon expert, and its owner unable to fight back, then ill do more than just pass by... ive been wanting a new XC bike :lol:
    i ride a hardtail
  • Touche.!! :D
    (And the odd tree)
    Zesty 714
    Gt zaskar carbon expert
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Trail centres are setup to accomodate all levels of riders,just take it easy first time out and you will have a great time !!
  • Cheers mate,
    Think i'll have a day off in the week and get up there early so I don't hold any of you guys up.!! :oops:
    (And the odd tree)
    Zesty 714
    Gt zaskar carbon expert
  • KonaMike
    Come down to Newport and try Cwmcarn !

You will love it and you will be surprised how friendly and helpful other riders are too!

By the way you picked an awesome bike there !!
  • Thanks for the advice,
    Can't wait to get up there think i'll give cwmcarn a go saturday or sunday ,its only 20mins from here.
    I'll be the frustrated guy trying to heave his new bike from the back of a painfully too small red mini.
    Looks like you don't have that problem.!!

(right bike/wrong car.)
    (And the odd tree)
    Zesty 714
    Gt zaskar carbon expert
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Can't wait to get up there think i'll give cwmcarn a go saturday or sunday ,its only 20mins from here.

There's a demo day on at Cwm on Sunday (20th April) so it'll probably be packed. Unless you want to try out a flash bike you might want to chose a different day.
  • KonaMike
    I might go and have a look at bikes I cant afford but the trails will be stupidly busy so I will leave mine at home I think .Might go tonight instead if the rain holds off !
  • Itsari
    Itsari Posts: 346
    I'll be there on sunday demoing the dawg and 5 - might be able to make my mind up then ^^
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Will be heading to afan to do the whites trail. on sunday

If i'd ahve know would go to cwm watch people crash bikes they dont know lol!
  • Yeah, Just realised sunset are up there touting new and old bikes, theres my nice quiet no one to see me fall off sunday trailblazing session blown,..bugger.
    Think i'll heads back to my home town cwmbran and get up the mountains i know well,theres some fairly decent trails over the top of the mountain.

Got monday off so maybe head over to cwncarn then.

PS:Anyone know where I can get hold of the 661 evo knee and shin pads? They seem to be as rare as hens teeth.?
    (And the odd tree)
    Zesty 714
    Gt zaskar carbon expert
  • Goddam,
    Just come back from my first time at cwm carn and to any beginners the trail is hard but well worth it.
    After going out the day before eating and drinking I really didnt pay Twrch any respect and I paid for it.
    It was rubbish weather but early on monday i at least had the trail to myself so noone saw me puffing and stopping on the first part of the trail.
    So many rocks and roots and very little mud.!!
    The trail definately got better after the first uphill section,few stops and starts but after going up crying I came down the last downhill section smiling.
    Excellent trail,can't wait to have another go,wet or dry.
    Glad beyond beleif I swapped my eggbeaters for tioga studded flats.!!
    The zaskar carbon expert 08 stood up very well,just a shame the rider wasn't as fit as he thought.!!

max
    (And the odd tree)
    Zesty 714
    Gt zaskar carbon expert
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    good one mate,

and dont feel bad, Cwm is a real body beater. not hugely long but demanding climb and decent. but i love it, and it holds up so well inthe wet, feel fortunate to live so close to it myself.

im slow as hell too, so if you want a weekend ride shout out!