Newbie alert. Frame sizing and weight issues

scott_b
scott_b Posts: 27
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all. Apologies for the newbie questions.
:roll:
Been looking at getting a road bike for a while now and seen a great deal on a 2nd hand 2005 model giant ocr3. The guy selling says its a medium frame and that it measures 54.5 cm (centre of bb to top of seat tube).Top tube is 55cm centre to centre.
Any ideas if i'd be ok on this at 5'8 ( i ride a 17" mtb)

Oh and as I have but a fair few pounds on lately is there any weight issues with road bikes, At 14 1/2 stone will I be ok on this bike :oops:

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I think it'd be ok.

I'm building up a 54cm (ctt) ribble frame with a 55cm TT (ctc) with a 12cm stem, I'm 5'8ish and the reach seems fine. It's probably got a stem shorter than 12cm, so you should be fine.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Sounds OK size wise I'm 5'4" and my top tube is 53cm , as the bike is a couple of years old make sure you check that all the wear parts are still OK as you can soon rack up a big bill if you need to replace chain , cassette and even wheels, if the rims are dished on the breaking surface, new wheels are required. (You can wear out a pair of wheels very quickly if you live in a hilly area.)
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    When it comes to Giant compacts they are fairly forgiving geometry wise, so at 5'8" a Medium should be fine. I don't think your weight is an issue.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Check against the Giant sizing/geometry guide. A Medium should be fine - a Medium Large which they do in some models (not sure about the OCR) very probably too big. At least Giant usually affix a sticker which actually says the size!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    scott b wrote:
    Hi all. Apologies for the newbie questions.
    :roll:
    Been looking at getting a road bike for a while now and seen a great deal on a 2nd hand 2005 model giant ocr3. The guy selling says its a medium frame and that it measures 54.5 cm (centre of bb to top of seat tube).Top tube is 55cm centre to centre.
    Any ideas if i'd be ok on this at 5'8 ( i ride a 17" mtb)

Oh and as I have but a fair few pounds on lately is there any weight issues with road bikes, At 14 1/2 stone will I be ok on this bike :oops:

thought the general advice was, a road bike should be around 2" larger than a MTB. Alternately you require around 1" clearance between the frame and your "wedding tackle" with both feet on the ground.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "thought the general advice was, a road bike should be around 2" larger than a MTB. Alternately you require around 1" clearance between the frame and your "wedding tackle" with both feet on the ground."

Varies considerably, surely - especially with reference to where-to-where is being measured! I'd normally ride 17-18 (c to t) mtb and 22 (also c to t) horizontal top tubed 700c tarmac machine. But then I have bars no more than 1" below saddle height. And an inch don't sound a lot to me!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Scott,

A medium giant will be fine for you and your weight will be no probs.

I am 16 stone and ride a TCR Hybrid (carbon rear triangle) and it copes fine with me.

Enjoy
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • scott_b
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Just waiting for it to be delivered. Should be with me on wednesday :D
  • monions
    monions Posts: 8
    hi Scott,
    i just bought the carbon bars from you but you don't have an e-mail address in your contact details & the post has been removed so i've not been able to get in touch. can you pm me your e-mail address so i can send through my details?
    thanks.
  • scott_b
    monions wrote:
    hi Scott,
    i just bought the carbon bars from you but you don't have an e-mail address in your contact details & the post has been removed so i've not been able to get in touch. can you pm me your e-mail address so i can send through my details?
    thanks.

Apologies. Pm and email sent.
    Thanks