first jump over a small gap FAILED

Dougizzle
Dougizzle Posts: 133
edited April 2008 in MTB beginners
hey, i did my first gap jump today and basicly sitting in A&E childrens ward watching high school musical for 4 hours is not fun! Im 15 and 6ft tall yet i get put in the childrens ward with 3 year olds lol. Ened up with a fractured clavical. Hasnt put me off tho, when healed i will be back to the trails.
Do it if you dare
Leaping from the sky
Hurling through the air
Exhilarating high
See the earth below
Soon to make a crater

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You get internet in hospitals nowadays?! Eee, when I were a lad, we didn't even have nurses and had to pull our own teeth ot.

Get well soon :-)
  • Dougizzle
    edited April 2008
    no internet in childrens ward just high school musical on repeat :evil: i could have shot myself

thanks and yeah i hope i get better soon aswell, typeing with one hand sucks
    Do it if you dare
    Leaping from the sky
    Hurling through the air
    Exhilarating high
    See the earth below
    Soon to make a crater
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Ah, you not still there then lol.
  • not failed! just experienced gained. positive mental attitude my lad. and high school musical HAS to be an incentive to get it RIGHT next time ;) !
    Train hard, ride easy
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    The trick here is to practice jumping sticks laid on the ground, NOT ditches! It hurts considerably less.

Another thing to watch for if you use SPDs to help your jumping is that they are tight enough. I once jumped a ditch but came out of my SPDs so the bike stayed in the ditch and only I got to the other side (which had a particularly rib-bruising large rock at my landing point).
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • I quite enjoy high school musical...
    Me like trials biking me do
  • Dougizzle
    not failed! just experienced gained. positive mental attitude my lad. and high school musical HAS to be an incentive to get it RIGHT next time ;) !

I suppose your right. Well atleast now i have 4-6 weeks (healing time) to sit here and choose my new bike that im getting end of may for birthday :D
    Do it if you dare
    Leaping from the sky
    Hurling through the air
    Exhilarating high
    See the earth below
    Soon to make a crater
  • marika
    marika Posts: 392
    Dougizzle wrote:
    thanks and yeah i hope i get better soon aswell, typeing with one hand sucks

heehee :lol:
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Dougizzle wrote:
    hey, i did my first gap jump today and basicly sitting in A&E childrens ward watching high school musical for 4 hours is not fun! Im 15 and 6ft tall yet i get put in the childrens ward with 3 year olds lol. Ened up with a fractured clavical. Hasnt put me off tho, when healed i will be back to the trails.

at least you only fractured it! mines was in 3 pieces and 7 weeks later its still a little sore! and haven't rode my bike yet
  • Mc Smiley
    Mc Smiley Posts: 252
    I almost did the same thing, i'm 18 first jump and i broke my wrist. Well just damaged it apparently now. Well you are technically a child, but its probably better than adult A&E.

Make sure to pop of the lip, i am definetly going to stick to table tops until i have it down!
  • Oh well... Better Luck Next Time! 8)
    Me like trials biking me do
  • stucon
    stucon Posts: 361
    man thas bad news!!!

hope you get back on the bike soon.. well the new one anyway!!! any clue as to what your going to get next??? something a bit lighter might do a good idea?!?!?!!? :wink:
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Well you still got more balls than me, I'm 36 and still a jump virgin. I like both wheels on the ground thankyou very much although today I did (unintentionally) launch myself off a drop off. The launch was fine, the landing was a bit hairy, really should check out the landing area before committing next time.

Hope the damage sorts itself out quickly (one of the advantages of being young, you mend faster than us old uns, grumble, mutter, dribble).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result