Bike fitting

bikefit
bikefit Posts: 2
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
I am thinking of spending £2000 plus on road bike mainly to get fit. I am a sucker for nice gadgets. I seem to get different advice from shops on the importance of getting fitted properly for a bike, i.e a jidg set up first. Can anybody help? :?:

Thanks

Comments

• azzerb
    azzerb Posts: 208
    If you're doing it for getting fit, and aren't used to riding, then I'd suggest this, especially with the money you're spending.

Getting a good fit will mean you enjoy spending time on the bike. Especially if you're not sure on what you want (didn't say whether or not your used to riding or know what you find comfortable)
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    Would a pair of £2000 trousers be worth the money if the waist and leg length were not equal to yours? The frame's top-tube and seat-tube dimensions should be suited to your body's frame... or spend the £2000 without getting fitted and take your chances..

Seriously, you'll never make a more important cycling purchase than on a proper fitting...just make sure that the 'fitter' knows what the heck they're doing...
    Cajun
  • moos
    moos Posts: 26
    You can try the fit calculator on the competitive cyclist website which would help to give you an idea of what to expect from the fitter?

The calculator is at http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO and is very interesting anyway :)
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Give Paul Hewitt a ring regarding fitting, he'll soon put you on the right path!
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Give Paul Hewitt a ring regarding fitting, he'll soon put you on the right path!

From what I have heard Paul Hewitt is as good as they get when it comes to fitting you for a bike. I would speak to him first, he was very helpful when I spoke to him and spent alot of time answering my questions
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    It's well worth getting fitted properly.
    You don't mention which part of England/the world you hail from, so it's difficult to recommend any specific shops.
    We had one bike purchased from a firm using the Bikefit system- I actually think that the service I got from a different firm who did it using experience and a jig proved better.

20 odd years ago, I rode a racer, and my recollection of road cycling was a world of pain and aches. Fast forward to late 2006 - I bought a bike from a really good local shop, and it fitted like a glove - cycling was so enjoyable that I went back and bought another bike.

Just beware that if you are not a regular roadie, that your first bike will almost certainly not be your last - If you get hooked, and after building up your muscles and getting more of a feel for what you want, you'll probably end up going back for something more in tune with what you've come to understand.

Some LBSs have bikes you can try out - which was very important to me, as differing geometries, saddles, frame materials, forks (and to a certain extent, groupsets) handle very differently. My second road bike is a lot more lively than my first.
    A good shop will take the time to talk you through all the options beforehand.

I don't like shops that insist on selling me kit without having it in the shop to see/try first.
    One shop, which I have in mind, has a rolling road with colour monitor - so doing the bike setup is very good since you're actually exterting yourself whilst they're checking your setup.