Cannock Chase

Garion
Garion Posts: 13
edited April 2008 in MTB rides
A riding friend wants to try Cannock Chase for our spring trip. There will be 3-6 of us for two nights away. Is there enough around to sustain us for two days riding? Any idea of accomodation in the area?
We live in east London and I think Afan is calling me,but I am wiling to give a new trail a try.

Comments

• dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    depends what your doing as the DH and FR will keep you ammused for a day but not two so if you do xc as well you could get two days if you do the two split up.
  • if you ride slowly( due to a very heavy bike) like you normaly do then you could spend a week there. :Buy a nice lightweight and you can do it in half a day !!!!!!
    johnboyrides
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    The follow the dog XC route is quite a short fun blast. You could do 2 or 3 laps in a day without too many problems on an XC bike. I'm told the best riding is on some of the unmarked trails. I'd be happy with 2 days there riding XC - I guess it depends what your bag is. I'd imagine Afan would have more to offer but that's just speculation...
  • Fully
    Fully Posts: 257
    If you drive to Cannock from East London and just ride FTD, you will be disappointed. There's nowt wrong with it, especially with the recent work done on it. It's just a bit short that's all. You would really benefit from a local guide, as someone stated earlier in the thread, the best trails are away from the purpose built stuff.

Personally i would spend a day at Cannock with someone who knows it well, you could probably get a good 30 mile ride in over there. For the second day, i would make the short drive (About 40 mins) to Church Stretton and ride the Long Mynd. Some big climbs and cracking descents in a beautiful part of Shropshire. Also, if you like your DH, Hopton Woods/Bringewood is very close by which has a number of quality courses.
    Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics
  • Garion
    Garion Posts: 13
    That's great, thanks for the replies. That doesn't apply to you Burgess.