Pump or CO2

Barrie_G
Barrie_G Posts: 479
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Due to someone pointing out that although a camelback may be a good idea with the fairly upright riding position of an MTB it might not be quite so suitable for the more bent over riding position of a road bike.

So bearing this in mind I'm considering my other options, i.e. bottles in cages, a saddle bag (filled with inner tubes, tyre leavers, multi-tool), the sticking point I've got to seems to be a small (pocket sized) means of tyre inflation. Now I know you can get pumps that come with brackets so that you can attach them to the frame along side the water bottle cage, but I prefer my bike to have nice clean lines ( more commonly known as a fussy git ) and I'd really prefer something that would fit into my pocket or into the saddle bag.

Up to now it's either [url=http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360022711THIS or [url=http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360017951&N=Innovations Proflate 16 PumpTHIS
these will be for emergency use only and to be honest I'm leaning slightly towards the pump if only for the reason that it has less to go wrong with it and therefore should be more reliable.

So any further suggestions or cases for or against would be much appreciated.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I carry both. You never know what might happen.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Shadowduck
    Shadowduck Posts: 845
    Why not get a combination CO2 / mini pump? Best of both worlds, and not much bigger than a pump.
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • Barrie_G

I agree, I'd also like to be able to carry spare cranks, rear mech, a spare set of wheels, etc.:D but you have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise pretty soon there will be so much gear strapped to the bike that I may as well have stuck to the camelback and MTB.

Having said that getting both is still a possibility.
  • Barrie_G
    Shadowduck wrote:
    Why not get a combination CO2 / mini pump? Best of both worlds, and not much bigger than a pump.

Not from any of the reviews I've been reading they're not :wink:
  • Shadowduck
    Barrie_G wrote:
    Shadowduck wrote:

The one I used to have was pretty good and got me through a bad few months of constant p*nctures (due to crap tyres). That said, it packed up eventually so you may have a point.

Now I have a tiny CO2 adaptor and two cartridges, but only because I haven't had a flat for months *knocks on wood* so I haven't motivated myself to get anything better!
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Shadowduck wrote:
    Barrie_G wrote:
    Shadowduck wrote:

The one I used to have was pretty good and got me through a bad few months of constant p*nctures (due to crap tyres). That said, it packed up eventually so you may have a point.

Now I have a tiny CO2 adaptor and two cartridges, but only because I haven't had a flat for months *knocks on wood* so I haven't motivated myself to get anything better!
    A CO2 adaptor and a spare inner tube should be all you need for one p*ncture. I carry an extra CO2 cartridge and a repair kit in case I get two...
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Barrie_G wrote:

I agree, I'd also like to be able to carry spare cranks, rear mech, a spare set of wheels, etc.:D but you have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise pretty soon there will be so much gear strapped to the bike that I may as well have stuck to the camelback and MTB.

I can manage to carry a pump and CO2 (+all the other stuff) in just 2 jersey pockets, so I don't don't see a problem.

With a small saddle bag, I can even keep my pockets empty.

What's the problem? You're probably carrying other junk you don't need.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G wrote:

I can manage to carry a pump and CO2 (+all the other stuff) in just 2 jersey pockets, so I don't don't see a problem.

With a small saddle bag, I can even keep my pockets empty.

What's the problem? You're probably carrying other junk you don't need.

No problem just asking a little advice, If I upset you with the bit about the spare cranks etc. it was meant as a joke, hence the smiley :wink:
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I carry both, hand pump to get the tyre round and make sure the tube isn't pinched then the Co2 for instant inflation.

Had to use them this afternoon. :x
  • Shadowduck
    Nuggs wrote:
    I carry an extra CO2 cartridge and a repair kit in case I get two...
    My reasoning also. :wink:
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    I would suggest like many others here, that even if you do get some sort of CO2 make sure you have a pump as a backup and a puncture repair kit (i like the self sticking ones). As you never know if the one tube you carry will be enough......

Had a sunday ride ruined after 20 miles, well 23 to be precise, all fine till the last 3 (was aiming for 50), 3 punctures later (2 thorns, one peice of glass) i gave up and got driven home... if i had a kit i would of been still anoyed and carried on..

Since then my winter bike has puncture resistant tyres (kevlar or something in them) and slime tyres, no puncture for 500miles :)

I'm that much of a newbie though i can't tell the weight difference :)

Now the summer bike i am going to build up wont so i expect i will find more punctures in 2008 :S
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Hmm i may be tempting fate by replying to this :shock:

I carry a small hand pump, 2 spare tubes and a repair kit.

Thankfully my Armadillo Elite Tyes have survived the obligatory broken glass in London's Bus lanes 8)
  • hodsgod
    hodsgod Posts: 226
    stop being a fussy git, and put a pump beside your bottle. It is by far the easiet solution.
  • karl j
    karl j Posts: 517
    have you thought about a Cyclaire ? fits into a carry bag thing on your frame, and goes goes up to 120psi

Cyclaire
    Morning route (when i don't get the train)

Evening route ,
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    I don't really see the point of CO2 cartridges unless you really are in a mega hurry. I carry a Topeak Master Blaster pump that I keep in my jersey pocket because I too don't like having stuff strapped to the bike. The pump just peeks out of the pocket but it not a problem at all. I also carry a tube and a repair kit so I think I've pretty much got everything covered puncture wise. Pumping up a tyre with my pump (to rock hard levels) takes a minute two. Not really a problem for me and as its rarely used and seems to be a quality piece of kit I don't anticipate it breaking any time soon. Hence I don't think its really necessary to have a single use thing like a CO2 cartridge in my pocket too.
  • Barrie_G
    Well I've decided for now just to go with the small hand pump, it's only for emergency use anyway, and as I've just spent another £200 on bike bits and a couple of jerseys I can't really justify the extra expense of two forms of tyre inflation at this time.

Thanks for all the comments though and it's given me some food for thought for when finances allow :wink: